Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yep, it was Mad Dog at about 1200cfs. The middle rock was just slightly covered and this couple clearly did not know the water or the lines, they must have tried to go right down the middle and panicked as they realized the rock in the middle. I witnessed them put their boat in off the side of 14 about a quarter mile down from the ramp at Gateway park. They pushed the boat down a rock wall into some fast water and it could not have been easy. Why they would do that with a boat ramp a few hundred feet up river is a mystery but let's just say when I was running my shuttle back up river and I saw them pinned on the rock I was not surprised. Luckily rescue was already called and they arrived quick and nobody was in the water so everyone is safe.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My wife was on her way up the canyon and saw 3 ladder trucks and several other emergency vehicles on site. The road was closed for at least 2 hours. Good thing expert help is immediately available in these life threatening situations!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Iam confused. Did they get wrapped and rescued from the raft in river or did they have a bad swim ? Cause they'd have swam to shore by the time sars got there right?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am also confused that mad dog is a class 3 rapid? I guess that’s a Colorado class 3 definitely not Idaho class 3. Hopefully 1 more new boater that will pack it in a garage for good and quit applying for then canceling their permits

Sincerely,
Old disgruntled boater

·
Registered
33 Posts
Iam confused. Did they get wrapped and rescued from the raft in river or did they have a bad swim ? Cause they'd have swam to shore by the time sars got there right?
They wrapped but were able to stay with the boat. When I came back up the canyon they were both standing on the rock behind the boat. There were a few boaters there already and they had a rope on the raft but soon after that rescue arrived. They were able to get a boat out to them with ropes and get the couple back to shore safe and sound. They never entered the water. The boat took a bit longer. Eventually they hooked a cable/winch direct from a firetruck and yanked it out.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Fuc$ man those lazy so and so's!! Lol! You gotta dive in and swim and break out your (un used) pin kit and then finish the run so you can tell stories at the take out! Of course it may be scary and you don't want too and you just wait for a sars team???? Glad their ok and a good reminder that the river can kick your arse.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So not only did they manage to wrap their boat on the only rock in that section that one could even conceivably wrap a boat on, they waited around for my tax dollars to pull them out! I hope I back over their shiny new boat when it and the rest of their gear is taking up three lanes on the boat ramp.

Sincerely,
Even more disgruntled old boater

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So not only did they manage to wrap their boat on the only rock in that section that one could even conceivably wrap a boat on, they waited around for my tax dollars to pull them out! I hope I back over their shiny new boat when it and the rest of their gear is taking up three lanes on the boat ramp.

Sincerely,
Even more disgruntled old boater
I can feel the love all the way down here in Salida!

Not to denigrate your comments grumpy, but everybody had to learn sometime, and shit happens.

These people may have been stupid or they may have been newbies, either way, having been fire in EMS all my life, my slogan is "I fix stupid", I'm glad that they had emergency services there when they needed them.

If they screwed up that bad in a class III rapid to wrap their boat, they were likely uninformed or misinformed, and deserve a little bit of slack.

At least nobody was seriously injured or even worse dead. Hopefully they learned a valuable lesson, and won't get their ass in a ringer again... We can always hope.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Isn't idaho class 3 class 6 lol ? Around here people say shite like ,"oh it's idaho class 4 man...rowdy!" Like Hawaii size waves lol!!! Funny! Here's a video of a idahoan (sp) who don't care what class it is he's going and the kids are too!!! "Shut up and get in the boat, it's class 2 (idaho class 2) bwahaa...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can feel the love all the way down here in Salida!

Not to denigrate your comments grumpy, but everybody had to learn sometime, and shit happens.

These people may have been stupid or they may have been newbies, either way, having been fire in EMS all my life, my slogan is "I fix stupid", I'm glad that they had emergency services there when they needed them.

If they screwed up that bad in a class III rapid to wrap their boat, they were likely uninformed or misinformed, and deserve a little bit of slack.

At least nobody was seriously injured or even worse dead. Hopefully they learned a valuable lesson, and won't get their ass in a ringer again... We can always hope.
Thanks for having the patience for being around to fix stupid, I am glad someone does! Agreed we all were new once and people do deserve some slack but flipping/wrapping in this section would be like flipping on bridges than standing in the middle of the river till help arrives.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Isn't idaho class 3 class 6 lol ? Around here people say shite like ,"oh it's idaho class 4 man...rowdy!" Like Hawaii size waves lol!!! Funny! Here's a video of a idahoan (sp) who don't care what class it is he's going and the kids are too!!! "Shut up and get in the boat, it's class 2 (idaho class 2) bwahaa...
Yeah, class 4 at flood stage lol. Had dude with a throw bag had a Kong ball, what's commonly known as the second chance ball, he wouldn't have had the stuff the bag every time he threw it and missed. That being said that was one hell of a throw

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reactions: Montana Cat 65

·
Registered
34 Posts
😂 no kidding! My first mfs trip was 6’ and you can still see my white knuckle imprints on my oars!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts