Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a bunch of friends coming one weekend in June. We were looking to do some Class III-IV runs on a 2 day trip. I couldn't think of anything like this where we could camp on the river as well.

I was thinking of Numbers and Browns on the Arkansas for that I've done those a lot of times but are there any private camping opportunities there?

Anyone else have other suggestions?

Thanks.

Bucky

·
Registered
178 Posts
Gunny Gorge... Not really any class IV in there unless its crankin', but a gorgeous canyon. You can do one or two nights in there.

Westwater also comes to mind.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Justin - you might also consider the Poudre. I've never camped up there, but there are a lot of private campgrounds. You could also go a little higher up Cameron pass to camp and find some USFS stuff.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
By private I assume you mean a one group spot and not the write your name on the board for your spot amongst 30 other camping pads?

There is some limited private camps on the Ark by the numbers, but they are getting smaller in number every year. If your getting there early (like Thursday night or early Firday) you might be able to snag them but they go quickly from what I have seen.

I would also second the Poudre option, lots of campgrounds of the check in variety and not too on top of each other but fairly regulated and can be crowded like the Ark. Private stuff would be higher up is my guess too, I am having a hard time thinking of anyplace other than the Ark where its river side/free/private spots that can be had.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The Poudre does have a lot of camping opportunities but it is difficult to run a multi-day on it if that is what you are looking for.

However if you are looking for good boating and camping opportunities the Poudre canyon is a great option

·
Registered
844 Posts
Just so you know, there are some camping spots in browns but you may have to fight with commercials that use them for lunch spots. As long as you don't stop to later in the day you should be o.k.

It is also required to have a groover and a firepan to camp in Browns. I would expect to get checked by the water ranger and who knows what they will do if you do not have the equipment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts