Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A used 2013 Rocky Mountain raft has popped up in my area, 16 ft. The owner is asking $2,200 with a frame and Carlisle oars. I'm not interested in the frame. If he is interested in selling the raft by itself what would you guys consider a fair price to be? Assuming its all in good shape of course.

My wife's family has taken me on a few trips and I've got the bug now. They typically rent boats, but I'm the kind that likes to tinker with my own stuff. Just looking for a reasonably inexpensive starter boat while I figure out what I like.

·
Registered
411 Posts
thats not a bad price as long as it doesnt have any patches 16 foot is alot of boat for a starter but hey whatever floats your boat lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it a lot of boat? All I've really been in are the Aire boats that are just shy of 16 feet. I've been reading that 14-16 is kind of the sweet spot for multi day stuff. It'll be my wife and I, our son when he gets a little older, our two dogs or a passenger occasionally.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Can't speak about the boat or price, but don't dismiss a 16' boat. I bought my one and only raft 3 years ago and it is a 156D Aire raft. It is big but I have three kids and a dog and it feels just right when everyone is on board. It also gives my confidence about hitting stuff with the kids. My dream is to run the permitted rivers so that's why I bought what I did. At this point I could only dream about having multiple boats so I bought the boat that can takes us on the big long floats.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
201 Posts
Why are you not interested in the frame if you're just getting started? Material? Setup? Would you be getting 2 oars or 3? Trying to better gauge the deal.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If it's got no patches or other major wear, then I think it's priced pretty well. Without the extras, paying 2000 for the boat alone would still be a grand cheaper than retail on a new one, which I think is pretty good for something 2 years old. 1800 would be a great deal. Of course at those prices the frame and oars it comes with wouldn't be much of a stretch, and you'd have what you need to get on the water. But if you contact a couple places you can probably find a new previous year model for just a couple hundred more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The frame was a home built deal, appears to be welded steel and plywood. Just looked bulky and quite heavy. No real adjustment, everything was welded where he liked it. When we've gone on our trips I liked the way the NRS style frames stacked up so easily on the trailer and were easy to move. Two oars, which I'd probably buy if he'd be willing to part out the package.

·
Registered
251 Posts
16' isn't too much boat. It will give you some confidence with the fam and with an oar setup will give everyone enough space.

·
Registered
143 Posts
RMR 16 ft boat. @ 24 months old, It's worth what you are willing to pay. If the warranty expressly extends to a third party buyer, the price is somewhat proportional to the new price. If the warranty does not expressly extend to a third party purchaser there is no relationship. I guess the value of the used rubber at $1000 to $1200.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
RMR 16 ft boat. @ 24 months old, It's worth what you are willing to pay. If the warranty expressly extends to a third party buyer, the price is somewhat proportional to the new price. If the warranty does not expressly extend to a third party purchaser there is no relationship. I guess the value of the used rubber at $1000 to $1200.
Super low. $1800 seems very fair.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Fair is a concept that was taught to you in Sunday school. If asked what the Chinese would buy it back for, $200 USD would be more than fair. Once the warranty (promise to fix in future) is gone, it's merely a pile of rubber. American consumers are ....just that.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Fair is a concept that was taught to you in Sunday school. If asked what the Chinese would buy it back for, $200 USD would be more than fair. Once the warranty (promise to fix in future) is gone, it's merely a pile of rubber. American consumers are ....just that.
Bluth, ignore this guy, he doesn't make sense. $1800 is a good price for the used RMR.

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
I would agree with Randady on this one. Don't believe that warrenty will be transferable, but your not likely to find a 2 year old boat in many other brands in that price. You can also check out rmr reviews on past threads here to see what people think about the brand.

Look at what you get for 1800 in a used, more recognized brand like high side, nrs, or maravia, they are great boats, probly will be in worse shape though.

Doubt you will find much in 1000, or 200 dollar range that is not in REALLY rough shape, maybe a half way decent bucket boat for a grand.

Look around, make your own decision.

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
Also, you would not be buying a pile of used rubber, that boat is pvc, meaning it is made of plastic, pvc is the material maravia, sotar, and jacks plastic welding use. Other boats like hyside and my nrs are hypalon, or a more modern equivalent, hypalon IS a rubber material. I own both a rubber boat and a plastic boat and am very happy with both. Non piece of shit plastic boats should be welded, not glued together, rmr at least is a welded model.
All rubber boats will have glued seems, since rubber can not be welded.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I really like RMR boats and they represent an alternative to the line of overpriced boats.
Price is relative and paying what others tell you to do is a fools game. The best price is a ticket to Guongdong and bring one back in your luggage. Aside from that, glue one up this winter....or weld if that is your preference.
The component that floats is free. All you got to do is corral it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts