Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mostly row a 13' Hyside fishing raft on the Ark. I have a 16' Sotar my Grand Canyon boat, that I have taken on the Ark when it was running 2500 plus, but never in lower water.

I have a lot of family coming to town and plan on doing a few runs with lots of passengers from Big Bend to Salida East, will my 16 footer and 10' oars make it down that stretch and through the boat chutes?

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
As of now, yes...as long as Wellsville is over 1000 you should be fine. Boat chute will be tight, but there is enough room to slide through.

·
Banned
678 Posts
Not sure of the section you speak of but I know of a group that has paddled a 16'er down browns every weekend since it was around 700cfs in April.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really,

I took mine down brown's at high water but I wouldn't think it would be doable under 1000. I would be afraid of being stuck everywhere and bouncing off the narrow slots.

I would much prefer to row my 16' frame in browns than the fishing frame on the 13'

·
Banned
678 Posts
Really,

I took mine down brown's at high water but I wouldn't think it would be doable under 1000. I would be afraid of being stuck everywhere and bouncing off the narrow slots.

I would much prefer to row my 16' frame in browns than the fishing frame on the 13'
I tend to agree with you but yes… they've been there every weekend since April.

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
It all depends on how well you can run technical water and if you don't do it well, much abuse you're willing to let your boat take.

The outfitters were running 12' and 14' boats down there in years when the flow never got over 500 cfs - and was usually around 300.

One of my moments of inspiration was the trip I started off sharing the launch at Johnson Village with a guide as she loaded up a 16' gear pig. She packed a huge mound of gear on the boat to support a family on a 4- or 5-day trip all the way to Canon City. We all launched and leapfrogged for the first couple of days, taking out at Stone Bridge as they kept going. I always figured if she was able to run that huge boat with a half ton+ of gear, I could run it with my 14' boat carrying a moderate load down to 600 cfs.

SYOTR,

-AH

·
Registered
461 Posts
I load my 16 up with 6 ppl, 10' oars and a built in 160 qt cooler and dry box.....never had a problem above 700. Plus, my big ole flailing 10' oars keeps those aggressive river guides and custies at bay and safe distance from me...braaahahaha! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can handle the technical water, but there is only one way through the boat chutes. If my barge is stuck in the boat chutes this weekend. I am calling you guys to come push. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts