Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often use a POV camera when paddling. When I do post-trip write-ups I like to sprinkle some POV in there to give an idea of what the creek/river was like. It's also nice to be able to visually refer back to a certain line or level when sharing beta with others, or for others to use when 'youtube scouting'.

But I don't always do trip reports from every river, so I end up with a pile of unused POV sitting on my hard drives and taking up lots of space.

Today I'm sharing an ever-loving pile of POV in one long cut, largely to get it off of my hard drives. But also knowing that some of these clips might answer people's questions about what a certain section of river is like at a certain level. I've included flow guesstimates.

https://vimeo.com/285804630

A few of these are from the spring of 2016, but the rest originated in that seemingly unending spring/summer of 2017, when the water ran and ran and ran and didn't seem like it could ever run out. Footage is primarily from Colorado with little bits from Idaho and Utah.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mike,

Nice to see fellow packrafters gettin' after it! Also heartening to see the occasional swim/roll, puts things in perspective for us lesser mortals ;-)

-Tom

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed that. Even without any music I watched the whole thing. I particularly liked seeing the middle Vallecito. I didn't even know that there was a class IV stretch to that creek.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mike I'm curious about that Crystal/N Fork Crystal footage, is that the section that is along Schofield Pass from Marble to Crested Butte?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike I'm curious about that Crystal/N Fork Crystal footage, is that the section that is along Schofield Pass from Marble to Crested Butte?

Sorta -- the S. Fk Crystal is what you're following riding the jeep road between Marble and Schofield. The N. Fork comes into the mainstem pretty much at the Crystal townsite, from the NE. Below the Crystal townsite it becomes the Crystal river. Cool zone.

Attachments

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed that. Even without any music I watched the whole thing. I particularly liked seeing the middle Vallecito. I didn't even know that there was a class IV stretch to that creek.

It's pretty flow dependent, but I'd call it IV/V at any flow worth hiking in for. And, if the level is good in the upper and middle, it'd be more or less suicidal to run the classic Valle gorge.

Also: https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f12/exploratory-middle-vallecito-creek-76961.html

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sorta -- the S. Fk Crystal is what you're following riding the jeep road between Marble and Schofield. The N. Fork comes into the mainstem pretty much at the Crystal townsite, from the NE. Below the Crystal townsite it becomes the Crystal river. Cool zone.
Thanks Mike :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts