Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
So what's the trick? Super-efficient cardio system? I don't get how this is possible.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
long breath

deep deep meditation, and shit load of practicing and conditing especially the brain, pschologically and physically.

the brain needs oxygen and thus deep meditation involves less voluntary muscles movement. the oxygen needed is used in the brain rather than in the limbs

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
deep deep meditation, and shit load of practicing and conditing especially the brain, pschologically and physically.

the brain needs oxygen and thus deep meditation involves less voluntary muscles movement. the oxygen needed is used in the brain rather than in the limbs
So if I can attain a deep meditative trance while getting trashed in Tunnel, I'll be fine? Sweet! :) Guess I'd better start training. Who wants to run Gore this weekend?

·
Registered
272 Posts
have you ever hyperventilated yourself before holding your breathe? try it sometime, it'll add lots of time to your hold. just gotta make it past the initial shock factor and then it's smooth sailing for a while (minute.. minutes??)

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
until you swallow your tongue

not everybody is as confortable with being under water as some are. and if your in swimming in tunnel you better not be meditating you better fucking be trying to get deep! ahhah if you do slow your heart rate, you can stay under water longer becasue you using less oxygen has been proven! but seriously it takes years of conditing to beable to go under for more than a mintute or two! once oxygen deprevation kicks in you are toast!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've done about 1.5 minutes in a hot tub after hyperventilating. After that amount of time, panic set in as I couldn't control the urge to take a breath. I can't imagine the type of training needed to stay under 15 minutes would be good for you as it would probably kill brain cells, but so does drinking and other partakins. ("partakins" is a GW word meaning partaking in recreationals)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The free diving guys are the gurus when if comes to breath holding. Hyperventilating apparently isn't that good for you, more like 3 deep breaths and go. Wait 5 minutes and repeat, then do it again. On the third try you will get about your max time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hyperventilating tricks the body into thinking there is no carbon dioxide building up in your lungs. You know the stuff that makes you go oh shit I need to breathe. The problem with doing this, it doesn't trigger your natural reaction to surface, people oftentimes pass out underwater IE "shallow water blackout." Special Operations training involvles a lot of under water swimming and hyperventilating is strictly prohibited by the instructors. I guess a lot of people die from shallow water blackout. So if you are trying to hold your breath for a while I reccomend trying to figure out the mental side and don't hyperventilate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts