Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1400+ at waterton, 480 or so in S. fork, what the hell is up with the gauges?

this is the farthest that I've seen them off, does anyone know which way it's off (more in foxton or chutes)?

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
man, that would make the chutes interesting if that much water is coming through

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I think most of it is coming from low elevation snow runoff from the recent storm last week. The pine gauge and the deckers guage are a good bit above the waterton confluence, and every side creek on both of those stretches is pumping in water. I don't think that the guages are wrong.
The gauges on the north fork from grant to bailey to pine are steadily increasing.

1400 cfs in waterton is a lot of water though. My guess would be a grand or so in the south fork and 300-400 on the north fork at the confluence.

·
Registered
169 Posts
1400 seems about right for Waterton...the guage on the south fork is up quite a ways from the chutes, and every little feeder creek was running higher than I've ever seen from all the low elevation snowmelt. Same with the north fork...a lot of little ditches that are dumping in 20 to 50cfs here and there, so the flow at Foxton Rd. was quite a bit higher than the flow at Bailey, etc. It looked like 300 in Foxton on Saturday (judging by the play hole at Foxton Rd), picking up flow the more you drove, with the end of the run looking ~500. Took a beginner down the Chutes, it felt ~600 to ~700ish, and Waterton was reading 1,200 that day. Things have come up since then.

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought that was too much for the feeder creeks, but I guess not. That could actually make chutes kinda fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts