Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a 14 or 15 foot wave destroyer with a 66" wide frame what is a good oar (shaft) length. The formula I've used says 8.5' I've heard some say just go with 10 for leverage but I'm thinking 9 or maybe 9.5' is probably more appropriate - thoughts?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Go 8.5. I just bought 9' oars and they are too long. 8'6" is perfect. And that is for my 14' WD 66" frame. The 9' feel heavy and dont meet the 1/3 in 2/3 out rule. Cant imagine running 10'ers

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I ran my Maravia 14 X 22 Cat with 9 foot oars, and my 14X24 Cat with 9.5 foot oars. Both with a 66 inch NRS frame. I ran my 12 foot Hyside raft with a 54 inch NRS frame with 8.5 foot oars. My current Sotar 14 foot raft has the 66 inch NRS frame and I'm using the 9.5 oars. I'd go at least 9 foot. I hate short oars. I was able to angle the NRS oar towers slightly to get my oar balance perfect. No matter what I did, I could never get it right with shorter oars.

·
Registered
187 Posts
9-9.5' foot for sure. I think 9.5 might be better if you are running the 15'er with a load but either will work.

I have two 66" frames and use 9' (cat) and 9.5' (14' raft) but could interchange easily.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Cataract shaft/Sawyer blades make for a 9'3" option. Balances perfectly on my 14' Sotar cat.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input everyone - I was actually looking at Cataract shafts with the Sawyer Duramax blades for oars and I noticed like you said they are 3" longer than other blades @ 7" x 30" which like you said would make for a 9'3" oar which is nice because the cataract 9' shafts are cheaper than the 9.5' shafts. Just curious which Sawyer Duramax blade to buy to work with Cataract shafts - is it the 1 5/8" or 1 3/4" ???? Thanks

·
Registered
427 Posts
I run 9ft oars on my cats. Trying10ft this season for leverage. Will chop down to 9.5 if needed. Sawyer oars are the easiest to cut

·
Registered
40 Posts
15'-66"-9.5'

I have a 15' WD. I have a modified 66" NRS frame and am extremely happy with the 9'6" cataracts i run. I also use 8" oar locks. I also think my 15' is the bees knees.

Peace out-

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have a 15' WD. I have a modified 66" NRS frame and am extremely happy with the 9'6" cataracts i run. I also use 8" oar locks. I also think my 15' is the bees knees.Peace out-
Me too. Do you have any pics of your modified frame? I would love to see what you did for comparison

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Nice frame Spider...who made it?
Mttodd built it. It was for his wife but it fits my short legs well. I sold my spider to a buddy on the MFS and used it to buy todds tubes, then ended up buying the frame as well. So far I've only used it on the bitterroot once. We are going to build a convertible module for it that will work for fishing, extra rider or cargo and sleep deck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts