Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I said above I have a boat I purchased for a steal. I knew there were some problems with the floor leaking. Now that a deflated it I found that 2 of 3 of the large "patches" that hold the floor down are ripped off causing pinhole leaks at the front of one. The one remaining has been stressed and there is a pinhole leak there as well. I'm thinking repair the holes first then get some great big patches to redo the floor adhesion. My issue is, imagine 2 capital L back to back sitting on the floor and the holes are where the the Ls touch each other and the floor. That's where the holes are. How would I go about fixing this? ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1407988896.650668.jpg

Any thought?

The picture shows the adhesion patch on the sb floor



Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
I just left mine unattached. It makes it a lot easier cleaning the boat our after long trips. Haven't had an issue in the past 5 seasons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
NRS sells Aire floor material by the foot. Buy a pretty big swath and a bucket of PVC glue. Cut the floor out completely as it looks like you have. Cut/sand the bottom of the inflatable floor patches as smooth as possible. Put a big ol patch over the entire existing 'patch' using normal patching procedures. I think mine are 13"x15"
Trim the bucket floor as smooth as possible. reinsert.

Don't: attempt to remove the existing patches. It will tear the drop stitch floor up.
Try to throw a small patch over the existing holes, too many seams and continued pressure. It will tear again.
Try to cut out any of the floor material, there are a million tiny threads in a drop stitch floor to deal with.

Maybe: call saturn, they sent me a weird little patch kit fix thing that I decided wasn't beefy enough and didn't use.

I don't really like the unattached floor, though it won't likely go away. I feel like my daughter could fit under there if things went exactly wrong. The next phase is to add d-rings arond the bottom and webbing stitch it in through the bailing holes.

Floor attachment is the worst part of saturns. Mine are holding up well except this, which is a bummer and will make me look somewhere else next time.
 

·
Sponsoring Vendors
Joined
·
1,466 Posts
Ive fixed a ton of these. Heat the patch a little, peel it back, patch the holes, reglue the attachment. Be careful and go slow with the heat and peel part. The material will delaminate easily if you heat to much or pull to hard. Most of the time these holes are from people pulling on the floor to try and clean it. To stop this from happening I slit a small round patch half way back and put it at the front crotch where the 2 "Capital L's" meet and onto the floor if that makes sense. Do this at the font and the back of the boat and when you pull on the floor it should help with the tear out problem. Good luck.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top