Mountain Buzz banner

12’ raft under $1000?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  nolichuck 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I’ve been lurking around a bit as I’ve started looking at rafts the last month. I’m in NW Montana and looking for a two man fishing rig with the ability to remove the frame or a portion of the frame and use it for a lazy half day foot with my family (2 adults, 2 kids under 5). I had been looking at a Storm but am now looking for slightly bigger options. I don’t have room for a trailer so would like to keep it no larger than 12 to throw on top of a Subaru. Budget is pitiful but I’m trying to find the best value options. Does anyone know of rafts to look into that would work well and may be less than $1k? My hope is to find a raft and frame that would total less than $2k, lower the better.

Kayak fished a lot growing up but never really had much raft opportunity, so pretty fresh to all this.

Thanks

#2 ·
You'll want to keep an eye out for a used package. Unlikely to find a full fishing rig for less than 2k but maybe. You don't have to have that to fish, I fished without one for years. Also they get pretty unwieldy to throw on a subaru once you start adding all the weight. I'd keep it simple for awhile. If you have to remove a bunch of stuff to transport it you'll use it less than if its easy.

#5 ·
"Cheap Boats?" Sheesh! I once bought an old Taiwan Hypalon boat that had its seams covered with huge yellow patches. I drove that thing for 30 years. Every year, I was trying to sell Old Patches or give it away. And every year Old Patches paid for its keep by staying up with my Avons and Aires. A friend finally cut it up ... for patch material. Be patient; get something with good strong material, decent working valves, easy material to patch and without porosity. Get GOOD PFD's (vests) just big enough to hold 1 breath of air ('cause you can't hold 2!), learn and practice the ropes. A-a-and .... Welcome to the Asylum!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.