Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been there in the last week or 2? Any hazzards or wood to worry about? Looking to maybe hit it Sunday this weekend. I fished there at like 25cfs, years back. It has been on my list of to do's. Not planning on running the V's, so is it play boat or creek boat? Per the description and what I saw, the middle section (between the V's) are a lot like a Foxton, a little tighter. Really neat canyon despite all the colorful campers...

Any recent beta welcomed or if your heded there this weekend drop me a PM.

Thanks! Jamie

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I've been wanting to do it. I'd be up for a Saturday or Sunday run if anyone's going and it's still flowing.

COUNT
Derk

·
Registered
688 Posts
I ran it in 02 I think, whenever that big drought was. Take both boats Jamie. The V at the start isn't too bad (I didn't run it back then but saw a couple style it). The V at the end looks long and punishing if you screw up. There was a video posted of the lower drop that year, perhaps it still exists in here somewhere. The middle section was low stress III playboating.
-d

ps- Jaime, thought you were headed to Aspen?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not this weekend. Next weekend or the next. I need to call Dan. You want to go? Trying to get a group tegehter still...Capt Wishy needs to go!

I saw the video before. Wow!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was witness to a horrible domestic that brought the county sheriff out at 2 am. Let's just say I had a pre-paid sweet campsite for the next 2 days...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've run it about 5 times in the last month, everything. If you need beta pm me or let me know what time you are looking at. I might meet you. I feel that bottom class V itch agian.

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
IIRC that hole is not in the upper V and it definitely is not in the lower. Those were shot in '02 after the fire when DWB was draining everything the reduce problems with sedimentation. I think I have them somewhere on my hard drive, but I'd forgotten what a thumping that guy takes on the top V.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Here's another of the bottom class V from that same year. I remember this day and watched the madman in the playboat. Too bad there wasn't more footage.

YouTube - bottom class V #2

·
Registered
8 Posts
11 Mile Cnyn runs right by an old RR bed/ the Road.
You can scout everything w/a little walking.
I think the hole you speak of is an obvious ledge drop.
'02 had some wood. Keep your eyes peeled. I ran it at 450 & 650 cfs. (between the 5's & skipped the ledge drop). That made it all easy. Lots of fun. Mtn Buzz shows it at 290 now, so it would be more technical now.
Sounds like Justin S. has all the beta. Have a blast.
J. Tip

·
Registered
2 Posts
I shot all that video of the lower class V. The first is of Nick Wigston running it above 500cfs. Very burly!!! The next clip I posted was of the log extraction. Someone ferried across to lasso (took a few tries) - then, thanks to Pete Gallup's truck, they were able to pull the log to shore. Pete is running second in the yellow/red boat. I do not know the first and third paddler that I got in the video - the level that day was just under 400.

I'm pretty sure Nick may have run the bottom drop at its peak - it was around 530cfs when we put on that day. Nick also styled the top class V drop that day too.

I will try and post some better quality video clips from those two days.

Troy

·
Registered
396 Posts
Last nights 11 Mile TR:

260 feels low there to me, I regretted taking playboat after the extreme shallowness of the stream prohibited practically any play ever (insane potential though, wow). I now respect and envy anyone who paddles this geology on a regular basis, the only other place I have yet to see such daunting class III (3.3+/.4) is in the Black of the Gunny. Lots of pin-ops, bad spots to roll, seives. What looked from the road like the greatest rock-splat EVER turned out to be a two story boulder with a paddler-sized crack RIGHT in the middle of it. :)

Safety alert:

There is a big river wide log around a corner after a set of little drops, its hard to miss from the road, mostly in the middle and closer to the top of the run than the bottom. It is pretty easy to get out for but once you can see the log from upstream, you have one eddy to catch on river left in the next 10 feet or so. Id slow my roll a bit once I got in the vicinity of that log.

What if this thing comes up more!? WOO! .. It won't, but its nice to dream.
Summary: It reminds me of the best parts of the Taylor, but steeper and more risky.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts