Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
no tengo
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well since we are on the topic of groovers.

I can see paying for the tank but $100 for a plastic toilet seat? ECO-Safe Toilet Seat Assembly

now that is what I call a load of crap.

There must be a way to take a $15 home depot toilet seat and rig a funnel to go into the tank. any ideas?

REally expensive Seat

Spare Tank

·
Registered
701 Posts
Perfect Christmas topic

A few years ago a close friend asked me what to get a best man in his wedding who was a kayaker. Man I am slow to the punch line. Groover is the perfect gift!!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Check it out, for that price you can almost buy the entire Coyote system (and you don't have to spend the extra dough on an ammo can). It is less tippy and it doesn't have those ledges before the hole that tend to catch "stuff".
Camp Gear » Toilet Systems | 4CORNERS RIVERSPORTS
The Coyote system looks very cool. Does anyone know for certain that this gets the "universal" thumbs up from the river cops?

·
no tengo
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have used the coyotes and they are adequate but I had a recommendation for the eco safe since the tank fits in an ammo can and you have double smell protection. just looking for a cheaper seat for it.

·
Super Moderator
2,849 Posts
As an owner of the eco, I really wish i had gone with Coyote. I hate rocket boxes, and you can never really get the rocket clean and stay clean. No mater how clean you get that rocket box, when you open it a week or two later it still has a mild funk.

The coyotes are plenty strong, and you don't need a whole other rocket box just for the seat. That is really the big down of eco safe is the size of the seat.

I guess coyotes might get nasty if you needed tomax them out as there is no lift to the seat i saw.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I do use toilet seats from Home Depot. I screw 2x2's onto the seats to fit the out side edges of 20mm amo can's (than forever called a rocket box, after the first use) but I use only the amo box without a liner. After I empty and spray them out at the RV dump I always leave the lids off so they dry out and do not put them back on till the next trip, also put vasoline jelly on the rubber seals of the lids so they do not dry out. I have the same, five or six rocket boxes that I have used for the past twelve years or so and three toilet seats, at a cost of about 100$ dollars. I also use the five gallon paint bucket system with regular Home Depot type toilet seats on them, I built them for free.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The seat opening on that Coyote system doesn't seem to be large enought to prevent your junk from rubbing against the seat. This could be very uncomfortable on a cold morning. Also the price still comes out to about $150 and if it is made of plastic... how long is that going to last?

The amo box with homemade seat to be the cheapest way to go if you are looking to save the bucks. Without a Scat Machine handy cleaning this out must be disgusting though.

·
no tengo
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I need something grand canyon approved and unfortunately I don't think a plain ammo can is blessed in all places.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I need something grand canyon approved and unfortunately I don't think a plain ammo can is blessed in all places.
A plain Ammo Can with homemade seat would definitely be approved in the Grand Canyon. That is what most of the outfitters use.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
The bare bones rocket box is the sports car of groovers as far as simplicity, durability and being undestructible. You can set them up and take them down in a second. At the dump stations you will be cleaned up and on the road to the bar before the others even have their hose's and attachments out. Yes you can use them on the Grand also.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The seat opening on that Coyote system doesn't seem to be large enought to prevent your junk from rubbing against the seat. This could be very uncomfortable on a cold morning. Also the price still comes out to about $150 and if it is made of plastic... how long is that going to last?

The amo box with homemade seat to be the cheapest way to go if you are looking to save the bucks. Without a Scat Machine handy cleaning this out must be disgusting though.
Does Bob's John clean out just ammo cans?

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
For the Grand, I would call the rangers and ask if the scat machine in Meadview or wherever you are taking out is operational. If it is, just use an ammo can. If not, use the tanks because you'll be bringing them home and finding an RV dump station.

I loved having eco-safe tanks on my last long river trip. They are easy, don't stink up ammo cans, and are really a treat. Thanks to CaverDan!

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
We had plain ammo cans on the grand, but make sure they are some of your best sealing ones. Seat and bracket (and chemical and else) went in another ammo can for convenient storage. They worked great. No one noticed any odor, but I don't know what was used for odor control, maybe just lime from what I could tell. Definitely GC approved. Honestly I can't imagine bothering with a bunch of $$$$ plastic to "go" in. There are places in Flag that will help with disposal using ammo cans.

·
Registered
214 Posts
We took the easy route on our Grand trip - rented commercial-grade toilets from an Canyon REO and just returned them full. We used Jon-ny Partner toilets, which are pretty bomb proof. The Jon-ny toilets have a pressure relief valve, and on a couple hot days we put a wet towel over the toilet and this took care of any smell (which wasn't bad anyway). They're heavy duty, stable, and easy to deal with on the trip, but very expensive and most private parties aren't likely to purchase them -- especially since you'll probably need several (or more) for a Grand trip.

·
Registered
247 Posts
wash, lock, and ability to be re-used, is the way I read the bible. ho-depot, a roll of roof flashing, some 2x's, and some screws...maybe some tin snips.....ramyo, has it nailed.

or, duct tape a pringle can.

OB~

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
River-Bank, looks like you're promoting your (admittedly very nice looking) groover in three different threads, possibly a record for shameless self-promotion! Here's an idea: buy a banner ad and support Mountain Buzz!

Edit: FIVE threads!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts