Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I don't have 1500$ or even 1000$ to spend on a new raft trailer... I've barely got enough to scrape up the 400$ that this guy on craigslist wants for his used snowmobile trailer. HE says it's in great shape and holds up well. Only problem is that it has 10" tires. I've heard that it may not be the wisest to go with that size and 12" is the minimum that I should go with. The guy insists that this trailer is solid and he has had it for several years hauling two sleds that were around 1600 lbs loaded. Is this a good deal or should I keep looking? Sorry no pictures at the moment. OH BTW I am using a 1996 Tacoma and will be hauling from the bumper hitch. IS this method okay to use? I don't really want to spend the extra money to install a new hitch. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm only looking for a 12' raft max.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Make sure you grease them regularly, especially if you get them in the water. They spin a lot more revolutions per mile. Run them like that and upgrade to 12" when funds allow. Bumper hitch should be fine but you might ride a bit low at the rear of the trailer. Your boat will want to work itself to the rear if its not flat.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Check the size of tires and wheels it has carefully. Most snowmobile trailers have a tire size of 20.5 x 8 x 10, load range E (1600#'s) with 5 lug wheel. Tires with wheels $140 on amazon per pair. Keep the pressure correct, 50#and put on bearing buddies if it does not have them. It should do a fine job for you. I pull a fully rigged cat on mine 1600 pounds when loaded with gear.

·
Registered
447 Posts
It will burn tires up FAST with hwy travel. I had a trailer with 10s on it and I put tires on sometimes twice a season. I now have 15s and they lasted 4 years with lots of use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will burn tires up FAST with hwy travel. I had a trailer with 10s on it and I put tires on sometimes twice a season. I now have 15s and they lasted 4 years with lots of use.
dang, I hope that doesn't come up to big too big of an issue. I'm pretty handy so I can make sure the bearings are repacked/greased. If the tires are able to be upgraded I'll do that for sure. I get to check it out tomorrow, maybe I'll post pictures or something if I'm not immediately sold on it so I can get more advice. Thanks for the replies. Keep em comin' if you have any more suggestions/knowledge.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I had those tires on my trailer and they held up real well. I have since swapped them out for 13" steel belted. Even though the 10s were doing fine it made me nervous to travel at highway speeds.

I would by the trailer. Like Spider said, you can always upgrade later.

Jim

·
Registered
362 Posts
Make sure to put trailer rated tires on it. Not "P" rated passenger car tires. They will serve much better until you can upsize later.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
108 Posts
Currently my trailer has 13" P185/80-13 tires on it. I planning on buying trailer tires this year. What are your thoughts on Bias vs Radial tires? I do a bit of driving out of state for raft trips and a lot in state. Mostly driving on highways but getting into a few put in we are on dirt roads such as MFS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Currently my trailer has 13" P185/80-13 tires on it. I planning on buying trailer tires this year. What are your thoughts on Bias vs Radial tires? I do a bit of driving out of state for raft trips and a lot in state. Mostly driving on highways but getting into a few put in we are on dirt roads such as MFS.
That is a good question. I have no idea hopefully someone here will be able to answer.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Rockgizmo. Let your tire shop guys know your usage. They will get you out of the "P" rated tires and into a proper tire. The radial is a cooler running tire with more overall duability. The bias ply tire has a sronger side wall and is less expensive generally. I always go radial. But that said talk to your tire pros.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Do not ever use the cheap load range B or C 10" tires they will not last. Get E's only. They are rated for over 1600 #'s vrs. 1,100 for C'S I get about 30,000 miles per set.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Maxxis radials! After going through a lot of trailer tires, I have found a great answer by searching the boating forums. Used to be that Goodyear had the best- but they stopped manufacturing them in the US and quality went to shit. Maxxis have been faultless for me for three years. They still look damned good, too. One additional tip- be aware of PROPER inflation. On my 15" that is 65 psi! Quickest way to a puncture on a trailer tire is chronic under inflation.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
447 Posts
dang, I hope that doesn't come up to big too big of an issue. I'm pretty handy so I can make sure the bearings are repacked/greased. If the tires are able to be upgraded I'll do that for sure. I get to check it out tomorrow, maybe I'll post pictures or something if I'm not immediately sold on it so I can get more advice. Thanks for the replies. Keep em comin' if you have any more suggestions/knowledge.
I luckily didn't have bearing issues just worn tires way too often.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Osseous, what are you paying for those Maxxis radials? Do you remember? And who carries them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, just to follow up. Towing with the Bumper hitch will generally be safe as long as I pay attention to the angle? I don't plan on having anything bigger than a 12' raft on the trailer. BTW I drive a 1996 tacoma that only has the bumper hitch right now.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Bumper hitches are fine on smoother roads. I would be cautious on the more rugged tracks (I am thinking the roads to the Owyhee and even Sandwash )

·
Registered
207 Posts
So, just to follow up. Towing with the Bumper hitch will generally be safe as long as I pay attention to the angle? I don't plan on having anything bigger than a 12' raft on the trailer. BTW I drive a 1996 tacoma that only has the bumper hitch right now.
I've used the bumper hitch on my '97 Tacoma up until a friend helped me install a uhaul Reese style hitch. As long as your bumper is not super rusted out it will work just fine, angle and all. The only issue I would mention is to not overload the trailer/boat with a ton of weight and take it slow on the dirt roads.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Is this just a paddle boat or are you outfitting it with some kind of two man fishing frame?

While a trailer does make it nicer, a small rig like that doesn't take much to setup and breakdown and you already have a truck. Given what you've said you might just want to do that for awhile instead of messing with a trailer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

1 - 20 of 43 Posts