Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would you do it?

will it trash my boat?

do you know where I can find a powerful, solar-powered bilge pump....or maybe even an electric bilge pump that will last long enough to get me through the longer rapids? what brand is best?

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
sounds fun. Look through the westmarine catalog or website for bilge pumps. None of them are rated for silt, but it should still last for way more than one trip. Wrap it in a sock to help filter it. Make sure you get a deep cycle battery that can handle full discharge.

Customize a small rocket box with a 12v socket or 2 that you can charge or plug into.

They also have some pretty stout hand cranking pumps.

Make the hose long enough so you can throw it over board to filler up before big drops.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I thought the accepted wisdom is the smallest that should do the Grand is a 14'. I would expect the 10.5' to be swallowed and eaten alive at some point on the Grand.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Depends on You

It all depends on you and what you want. I was on a trip where two guys R-2 paddled a Puma and only flipped when they were going for the meat and realized that flipping was likely. When they wanted to stay upright, they did.

I think that rowing that small boat would be a lot of fun, with the right mind set. That is: I am gonna flip a few times, no big deal. If it is a big deal, then that boat is too small.

With that small of a boat, you could make some pretty cool lines. Like maybe the Dory Slot at Lava, or splitting the Horns at Horn Creek, or fully left at House Rock between the wall and the bottom hole. Who knows, the sky's the limit!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I ran the horns with an 18' boat, and also the left line at Lava. It was not high water at Lava, but at Horn it was. Horn was my favorite rapid!

I still think it is too small. You will flip, probably multiple times. That is a pain in the ass to the rest of the folks on the trip, dealing with your carnage, reflipping, etc, etc. The water is cold and swimming has real risks.

I think you'd be like a pin ball in a pin ball machine. That may sound fun, and would probably be on a day trip, but not for 18-21 days if you become a burden on the rest of the trip.

·
Registered
587 Posts
if you can put all your gear on another boat...

could you right it by yourself after a flip? Empty except for a small day cooler I'd think you could avoid most of the gnar.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Do it!!!!!!

On my first trip thru the ditch in '85, my uncle rowed an 11' raft. No flips or swims. He ran it all and cheated wherever possible. No issues. Go for it--why no?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
But why do you want to take the sneak routes? Use a big boat and hit everything right on! The drop at Horn, the wave at Hermit, on and on and on. Do you really want to forego those just to take your small boat?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Support issues—

For a full-on Grand trip (18-21 days) you'll need food, beer, camp gear, etc, which is a pretty big heap of stuff. If you're running with a bunch of sweetheart big-boat mates who are willing to haul your weight (and rescue as necessary) then go for it in the wee bucket.

But be prepared to do your share and bit more in camp work, and thank them regularly. You might even want to shout some extra beer for the trip. Rowing an 18-footer heavily loaded is no picnic. That is, somebody has to carry your freight, and you'd best have an explicit understanding about that before starting the trip.

Chip

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Like chip said: Just act and expect to be treated like a kayaker. You just might make mvp as swimmer pick up below big rapids.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bucket Buster

There is a solar powered bailer called a "Bucket Buster", it works well even in muddy water. I think you can find it at www.raftinstyle.com but it is expensive. You could make your own cheaper if you are handy. I work in the Canyon and rairly see that size boat but every time I do, the people on it say it's great. Good luck.

·
Registered
536 Posts
man, sounds like allot of work if that electric bilge pump fails or can't keep up. i've had to empty a few bucket boats that were full of water to the top of the tubes. it sucks allot. and in the GC it only takes one or two waves to get you there.

my first raft was a 11 ft riken bucket boat and the first day out was a super easy,low water II-III on the Tieton. the two up front just bailed constantly. that was the only trip i did with the thing. just too much work. still had fun but it was obvious there are better and more enjoyable ways to roll. sold it a few weeks later and upgraded.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts