Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this summer
Joey , is due for his first overnight raft trip. Plan on a ruby / horsethief trip cottonwood / black rocks camp site. L9t of time on grizzly creek, possible trips down roaring fork cimitary down. What more should he go down as day trips before the over night trip. Thanks

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
My lil boy screamed like a banshee sleeping in a tent on night one of the 3 overnights we went on. After the first night he became more acustom to the tent.

don't rush it, its more of a pain in the ass for your wife. Lil fuckers can't swim either, if something goes south but that's obvious. They really like mommy and their normal sleep schedule. But hey I did it on our local river. Large boat helps, pack n play fits nicely in the front of an 18'er.

Mostly just use good judgment and keep it roadside incase of weather, bee sting, screaming,ECT..... that would require a speedy exit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Great question Spider. I've been wondering the same thing.

My 18 month old swims like a fish, loves being outside, and I'd really like to do some trips this spring summer with him. Keep me posted if you line something up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just asked my now veteran 7 year old what he thought and his first suggestion was the Upper C...also in your backyard. It was his first float (5 months) and first overnight (at 18 months). Sort of along the lines with what Spider said about roadside, it's a trip that if need be, I could row out in the dark.
After many multi-day trips (San Juan, Deso Gray, Labyrinth, Ruby Horsethief, etc.) now he wants his own boat, loves Brown's Canyon and we are debating a lower water Westwater with him next year.
It's all great, just keep in mind the basics....shade, river toys, a good place for a nap on the boat (crucial as the motion can make them sleepy), an adult with them at all times. It's fun and good luck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ruby/Horsetheif is a great intro run for kids. That was my son's first trip when he was 2. For other 'preparatory' day runs, you could check out the Moab daily and the green river daily. Both have river or roadside camping options in beautiful settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
242 Posts
My little one never had the kind of routine that most kids have, and so was an adaptable traveler from day 1... (her first night in a tent was on the Salt at 2wks old.)

Her first multi day River trip was the lower San Juan at 2 years old. It was just her & I in the boat (the other two boats were families with both Mom & Dad.) And honestly that was the biggest challenge for me... having to be on sun screen, snacks & entertainment duty, as well as being the only oarsmen! (I did a lot of "row as hard as I can to catch up, drop 'em to take care of Charlotte, row hard as I can to catch up..." and so on...) Also, it was hot as sin (July, never do the SJ in July, it was stupid... I swear we both cooked brain cells on that trip.)

But really, the other biggest issue was a regression in potty training! Suddenly they are supposed to pee in the River, not the potty, and so the whole potty concept kinda goes out the window! Fair warning... :p

Honestly though, it never occurred to me to have an "out." I mean, we were on a river trip, she was going to have to deal just like I was... But then again that's how all River trips are, & that's also what sat phones are for... emergencies, not discomforts. I think part of what makes river trips so amazing is that it makes us step outside of our comfort zones, makes us learn and grow. If you need that "out" safety net just for mental sake, then by all means, make it available... but I wouldn't recommend actually bailing if a kid is being fussy... Just sayin'...

Also, other than Upper C, San Juan, Ruby Horsetheif, etc... The Chama river in NM is a fabulous family 3 day!

Anyways, my little one is now 6 1/2 year old, she has over 700 river miles, rows, paddles, rafts, kayaks and LOVES it! I mean, she's had some not so fun days on the river, it's not all rainbows and unicorns... she's been hot, cold, scared, hungry, tired, she's taken some swims... (As much as we try to prepare for these things as parents, they will still experience them. I mean, if they are going to play in the water in their fourth and final set of dry warmies... they are going to learn what it's like to be cold for the last few miles!) And despite the challenging experiences she's had on the river, they are totally out shined by the good experiences she's had on the river!

I think really all we can do is show them our passions and help fan their own, while trying our best to keep them safe, and help them learn.

·
Beginner
2,484 Posts
Maybe you could separate the two to start. Go camping in the back yard for a night and go float Hayden Meadows the next day. Some of my earliest memories are camping in the yard with Dad - watching football on the little black and white TV in the tent on an extension cord. :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Y'all are crazy bringing a toddler on a whitewater raft trip. I would totally recommend the camp in the back yard, and a flat water float..

·
Boy Howdy!
1,064 Posts
We took the granddaughter on the upper c at 3000 for her first river splashy tripmand she did so well we took her again on labor day weekend for a 2 night camp and raft trip. Shes 2 and she loved it. We had another 2 year ols, a 6 year old and a couple of tweener girls along and she was always occupied and just loved the trains going by. She didnt nap unless we were on the boat in flat water. She also slept hardnat night which was good since me and grandma wanted to get our ya-yas out by the fire with our freinds.
Inwould of never have thought of taking her out so young untill my goodfreind said he had done it with his daughter at 6 months and had to get his rafting fix.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My boy has been camping all summer he loves it, he has also been on the grizzly creek to Glenwood section of the Colorado numerous times. His first trip down to Glenwood he was nervous at first but by the end he was helping me r1 the raft. I was just trying to get ideas to help get him prepared for a lovg float, i am not worried about the camping part.thanks for your good input river mamma.

·
Registered
124 Posts
RiverMamma is the Mountainbuzz queen of this subject! We have learned much from her posts. She has us beat with the 2 weeks old in a tent, ours slept through the night for the first time camping at 6 weeks ;).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can't suggest anything because in my opinion it is just a bad idea. Not going to preach but had to say something.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RiverMamma is the Mountainbuzz queen of this subject! We have learned much from her posts. She has us beat with the 2 weeks old in a tent, ours slept through the night for the first time camping at 6 weeks ;).
mine was 8 weeks first camping trip but we cheated rv he still plaid in the dirt. On the other post if you are careful and respect the river (nature, winter, etc...) you can have plenty of active outdoor family fun.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
My g'kids first rio trips were on the San Juan when they were infants. Walked (carried) them around the class 2+/3 drops. There's one on the upper and one on the lower. Keeping a PFD on them is an issue. We always had a policy of one adult on duty for each kid. The oars person didn't count. Biggest issue we ever had was an intense spring wind storm. We were all uncomfortable waiting it out for a day. Welcome to adventuring. Did a 5 family Lower Juan trip last year in August. All the rafts had biminis. Awesome. 5 kids had their first kayaking experience on that trip with Grandad teaching them. Lots of family SUP time. The warm water let them swim their way down the rio. The tamarisk is all dead on that rio now and the Mormons cut all the cottonwood out so there is no shade except from the walls and any shade you bring. Wonderful trip. Be smart about it but IMO do it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've been on overnight trips with little kids and everything was fine except being next to a moving river. When we were at camp, the kids had to keep life jackets on in case they went near the river. Just like adults, kids love to look at the river and play in and near it. Take your eyes off of them for one second and they are back to the river. Not to sound weird, but I think some type of leash system would be great so the kid(s) would not have to wear a hot pfd in the sun. Maybe a ski fence? Roll it out and make a huge corral? Something to guarantee the child does not enter the river unexpectedly. I noticed many people in the party couldn't entirely relax because we were watching the traveling kids run around. Of course this doesn't pertain to an infant that is not yet mobile.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My folks took me on the lower Rogue, much of the time in the front of an IK, when I was 2 or so. Unfortunately I have no memory of the trip, but apparently I loved getting hit by the waves. I have been fascinated by rivers my whole life, whether fishing or boating or just sitting by them, so it must of left some good impression. Bring those kids out!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Yeah, camp choices are more critical. We try to avoid camps with fast moving water and anywhere with a sharp drop off, whether from ledge or collapsing sand. Also, where you tie your rafts up might change to avoid having a bunch of floating undercuts below where the kid are playing. Typically we have an adult dedicated to keeping an eye on the kids at water's edge. And kids are always required to wear their PFD if they are near the rio.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was on a 6 day private Rogue trip this fall and we had 3 kids on it ranging from 8 months to 2.5 y/o. They all did great. Moms walked with the little ones on the Rogur River trail on some days when there was fairly constant rapids and floated on days when it was acceptable. All the kids had a great time. I say go for it, but as others have said some camping in the backyard first might be the thing to do.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts