Mountain Buzz

Mountain Buzz (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/)
-   Rafting | Gear Talk (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Pop up fire pit passing regs (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f44/pop-up-fire-pit-passing-regs-97707.html)

Critter70 04-24-2019 07:11 AM

Pop up fire pit passing regs

So was wondering where people have used their pop up pit and it has passed inspection. Bought mine this spring and really like it. Does a great job as a fire pit and grill. That being said, it did NOT pass inspection for Westwater this past weekend. The ranger was super cool, and said they needed to sit down and all get on one page about what is and isn’t acceptable. His take is that it should be one solid piece and with that a trash can lid was what we passed with. Just a heads up.

wack 04-24-2019 07:15 AM

I'm headed to Deerlodge in a few weeks and will report back on Dino.

MontanaLaz 04-24-2019 09:39 AM

I did a Salmon trip with mine last year, and coincidentally the Westwater Ranger's boss's boss was on our trip and thought that the pop-up pit was awesome.

I imagine that it will pass just fine once they actually sit down to talk about it.

CampfireDefender 04-24-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Critter70 (Post 729215)
So was wondering where people have used their pop up pit and it has passed inspection. Bought mine this spring and really like it. Does a great job as a fire pit and grill. That being said, it did NOT pass inspection for Westwater this past weekend. The ranger was super cool, and said they needed to sit down and all get on one page about what is and isnít acceptable. His take is that it should be one solid piece and with that a trash can lid was what we passed with. Just a heads up.

Well Critter, ya did it now. You are the first person after thousands of pits being sold to have theirs denied.... I think we owe you a dinner or something lol

The regulations are a little goofy when it comes to fire pans so i'm sure the ranger was just unfamiliar with the product and wanted to play it on the safe side which is always acceptable. I'm gonna see if we can reach out to the rangers out on Westwater to do some training.

The Pop-Up Pit does meet and exceed all of the stated regulations but it always comes down to the rangers call.
The primary concern is always whether ash falls through the mesh which most of you probably know by now, it does not fall through.

Osprey 04-24-2019 01:42 PM

Thanks for doing that Tristan!

Mine passed a fairly rigorous Cataract shakedown last summer with a park ranger. He indicated he had seen them "in the shop" and thought they were pretty cool. Seemed like the first he had seen one on a check out though. I kind of started with"well this is a little different" and started to set it up for him but he didn't make me since he had seen one.

Critter70 04-24-2019 01:46 PM

I think maybe one of the issues is that there are many different types of piece together fire pits and they are not all created equal. The ranger could not have been more accommodating and super cool about it, just there hasnít been a definitive ruling about them. Seemed the main issue wasnít about the ash but that it was not one solid piece. I really like my pop up pit, just want others to know that it might be in your best interest to have something that for sure will pass until these are more recognized as legit.

yesimapirate 04-24-2019 03:35 PM

It's interesting about the one solid piece. For many many trips down Westwater we've used these 4 piece collapsible pit that rests on the ground. I don't think we used it in the last 2 years, but certainly over the last 13-15 years before.

Note - I purchased a Pop-Up Pit this spring. Was hoping to use on permitted multiday floats. Crossing fingers that can happen without having to carry printed regulations.

BGillespie 04-24-2019 03:41 PM

Was the ranger Bob?

Osprey 04-24-2019 05:10 PM

That's the thing, there isn't an approved list of ones to use, the regs are the regs and I don't think they should be open to interpretation by the ranger for something they don't say. Sounds like the OP was lucky it was BLM regs and didn't require something with legs. A garbage can lid is not a better firepan than a pop up pit, that's nonsense. I mean they don't require a blanket, to me anything elevated is going to be better than something on the ground as long as flaming wood can't fall through it.

bcpnick 04-24-2019 05:38 PM

Passed inspection on the Salt last month. That's ridiculous that it was denied at Westwater. I already sold my old heavy firepan...