Mountain Buzz

Mountain Buzz (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/)
-   Rafting | Gear Talk (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Proloks nex-gen II (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f44/proloks-nex-gen-ii-96775.html)

cupido76 02-17-2019 10:02 AM

Proloks nex-gen II

The proloks site looks like the sell nex-gen upgrades, or nex-gen II locks... But there's isn't much discussion on the site to the details of the nex-gen II.

Anyone here know much about this new iteration?

codycleve 02-17-2019 01:05 PM

I think the next gen have a larger plastic piece on the stopper "like an oar right" that slides and locks in the open space on too of the lock. This replaces the small metal pin that locked in a notch in the bottom half of the lock..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

codycleve 02-17-2019 01:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Old vs new

cupido76 02-17-2019 01:58 PM

^^^ looks like you have used both kinds? Any feedback on the new design... Do you like it as much, etc?

Is the oar-right portion removable if I wanted to?

codycleve 02-17-2019 02:17 PM

I have used the original, and the next gen 1. I got the picture of the next gen II from their facebook. I do believe you can remove it.. i like my current set up because i only have to pull the oars back a half inch to feather, where with the new ones you have to pull back a few inches..

cupido76 02-17-2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codycleve (Post 720669)
where with the new ones you have to pull back a few inches.

That's exactly what I was worried about.

I wonder if you could cut the oar right portion down to 1" or less. It looks like it's just the piece of the collar that is cut out of the top of the oar-right.

idaho_h2o 02-17-2019 05:01 PM

I bought some last year and didn't run the oar right portion. Seemed to work okay but I made it less than a mile into the SF Salmon and the sleeves started getting gouged so I could no longer feather. I was continually cutting away portions several times a day as more sleeve would get gouged and bunch up in the lock. I called the owner and he sent me some more sleeves and I plan to try again. I'll probably try to sand down the edges of the plastic lock but really wish he would build these as a solid donut without the oar right cut out or size them for regular plastic sleeves that would be much tougher.

codycleve 02-17-2019 05:23 PM

I probably have 500 miles on my sleeves and they look good as new... im trying to think of what would off caused your problem. Perhaps not heat shrank tight enough?

cupido76 02-17-2019 05:25 PM

I saw the sharp edges on the doughnuts and thought they might cause exactly the problem described.

I'd guess that dulling the edges on the handle side would solve that.

And be safer for passengers at the same time.

cupido76 02-17-2019 05:31 PM

Also, I suspect the cutout is to make it easier to install / change and oar... Can you just slide the oar out to the blade neck to get the oar to clear the jaws?

If so I think that's a good feature... But nothing on a boat should be that sharp, in my opinion.