Mountain Buzz

Mountain Buzz (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/)
-   Rafting | Gear Talk (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Is White the best color? (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f44/is-white-the-best-color-96607.html)

Mtflygiy26 01-30-2019 12:31 PM

Is White the best color?

Hi all, I know this has been discussed in the past but looking for the latest info. I am looking at new rubber this year, Yay! Wanting an AIRE 146DD and can't decide on what color to go with. Ive had Red,Purple,Blue boats. I really dislike the heat on darker colors and the Sun FADE. My friend got a white boat last year and loves it. He says its stays cooler and wont fade. Great, but what about dirt? Is it hard to keep clean? I am sold but the wife isnt. :roll:

Riverwild 01-30-2019 01:26 PM

I have a white boat AIRE boat. I would say it gets just as dirty as any other boat, but it's more noticeable because it's white, so it looks more dirty due to that. It doesn't get as hot, but there is a bit of glare off the boat from the sun. It's similar to what you get while skiing, with light being reflected off the white boat around you. But most importantly they just look cool, so there's that.

almortal 01-30-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverwild (Post 718443)
I would say it gets just as dirty as any other boat, but it's more noticeable because it's white, so it looks more dirty due to that. It doesn't get as hot, but there is a bit of glare off the boat from the sun. It's similar to what you get while skiing, with light being reflected off the white boat around you. But most importantly they just look cool, so there's that.

I've got a white Hyside and I agree with this, though I haven't really noticed additional glare because I boat blindfolded. My other boat is black and gets hot as balls so I went for the other extreme. White boats just look cool.

Conundrum 01-30-2019 02:40 PM

Only if you're wearing a MAGA hat.

griz 01-30-2019 03:55 PM

Yellow is another less heat prone color, as well. I picked up a yellow Hyside last season and itís kinda been impressive how much cooler the tubes stay vs. previous raft colors of ol blue and darker gray ass burners.

Only weird thing with yellow is when rigging on a bright day, before all that yellow gets buried under gear, frame, coolers and people is that when I look away from the boat everything has a green tint until my eyes readjust. Other than that, I like it.

bcpnick 01-30-2019 04:54 PM

I went with lime on my 146DD after having a blue 156R. I think it will be good in the heat but I didn't feel the blue one was bad either. I rented a lime super puma last summer and it was nice but it wasn't scorching hot out.

Fly By Night 01-31-2019 12:23 AM

I haven't had the privilege to try different colors yet, I think a light grey would be the best combo of low glare, minimal solar gain and less obvious rub marks and straining.

gazzy902 01-31-2019 12:44 AM

Ran boats on the Ganga that were off white/grey coloured and loved it. They don’t get hot and being that they weren’t super bright white the glare was minimal, and the dirt doesn’t stand out as much.

gazzy902 01-31-2019 12:45 AM

I must say that topic header made my eyes open wide for a sec 😳

mkashzg 01-31-2019 05:01 PM

I also recently bought a white hyside and I love it! It doesn’t get hot and don’t worry about having to bleed it in the afternoon although there was a bit of a glare at first but after time it hasn’t been so noticable. I really like the white but the gray would also be a good compromise.