Mountain Buzz banner

What size pipe for sleeve over NRS pipe?

6K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  lhowemt 
#1 ·
So I have finally decided to dump the seat bar and add another dry box to my cat. I don't want to give up on my seat just yet though. I thought I would build a flips seat mount similar to what AAA builds. I think gary at row frame also builds a similar flip seat mount. I have spare aluminum laying around and i'm not sure on what size pipe is best used to be as snug as possible over an NRS pipe. I found a 1.75 Nominal aluminum tube that is 1.68 just ever so slightly bigger than the 1.66 that nrs should be being it's 1.25 nominal but it's only like 0.035 thick.. Is this too thin?

I am also trying to find something to use as four rubber or plastic feet under the plate to prevent the seat bolts from rubbing my new dry box.. Something like nrs puts on their flip seat.

Any help would be great.. I just cant make myself shell out 125 bucks for something I could build for less than 20.

#3 ·
I assume you're thinking this style:

versus the pipe style... Pipe style uses hollander fittings or lopro's depending on design...

I'm thinking that the pipe in the pic is much thicker than 0.035 wall. They probably just use 1.75" ID pipe to go over the 1.63" OD that gives you a 1/16th or so around the circumference (assuming the ID's are precise, which they're probably not). I doubt that will be super sloppy.

I'm guessing you found this site (or something very similar): https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?sortby=ID&step=2&id=71&showunits=inches

They have several options to get to 1.75 ID - but their 2" OD, 0.125" wall stuff will be 1.75" ID - $11/ft plus shipping would be the cheapest....

#4 ·
yes that is the style I was thinking.. I am trying to keep my seat as low as possible. Yeah I found that onlinemetals.com place.. I actually just shot them an email to so if they had any advice.. The 1.75ID may be the way to go. I guess it may be best to have a little slop than too tight and not fit.

#5 ·
FWIW, I just bolted tractor seat slides to my drybox and I have an adjustable, removable rowers seat. I can take it off and plop foam on the box to cover the slides and I can remove the back of my seat if I'm in bigger water. It's just about as customize-able as it could possibly be. And it makes a nice seat at camp. The only drawback is there is no seat available if you want to row across the river to fish or something... in that case I stand, or set something on the cross bars to sit on.

#6 ·
If you order some of that 1.75 inch ID pipe I'd love to go in on an order with you. I need about a foot for an umbrella holder and a foot and a half of another size.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

#9 ·
I said i would update this when i was done, so here it is.. I went with 2" pipe with 1/8" walls for a 1.75" ID.

I put in 1/4" rubber feet for spacers under the seat.. the seat i got had a bit of a ridge down the middle so when i bolted it to the plate it pulled the plate up a bit.

I also cut a slit in the back of the plate and sewed a really short loop strap to fasten the flip seat down.

So far i really like it and is really functional... I might have to upgrade my 8" oar towers to 10". The only thing that might save that is I am riding on 28" tubes.. I will see when it gets warm enough to get it out of the shop. Pipe Metal

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.