Mountain Buzz banner

What size cataraft do I need?

Tags
cataraft
23K views 70 replies 18 participants last post by  GilaRobusta 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! I am new to catarafts, and actually new to drifting in general and I have quite a few questions that I would greatly appreciate if I could get some knowledgeable answers too. To start off with I am a fly fisherman, so most of my fishing will be landing the boat and wading in the water to fish a run, but there would be some nymph fishing on the boat in between good swinging water. I would love to have the boat be light enough so that 2 people can easily pull, lift or drag it out to the water with out the need of a boat ramp, I wanna be able to fish where drift boats cant. I will most of the time be either fishing by my self or with one other person with the occasional few times of having me and 2 other people fish. Maybe rarely do just a peaceful float with out fishing with 4 people and next to no gear. Im a welding fabricator and Id love to build my own setup exactly to how I like/want it but I have no idea where to start. Would a 14' cataraft do all that I am wanting to do? Could anyone give me dimensions to building a frame? Would a 14' cataraft be easy to maneuver all by myself? Would it have the capacity to hold just 4 people with out gear? Is it light enough to pick up with 2 people or even use one of those wheels by myself? Is a 16' cat light enough for 2 people to pick up? Can one person fish a 16' cat? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!! If you got and frame recommendations or anything at all. Thanks

#5 ·
I have a 14' Sotar ST cat that I use in the manner you're describing. I built a modular frame so I can add an angler station up front- or solo rig when it's just me. I can drag the boat onto a trailer by myself in solo configuration. I wouldn't want two anglers plus me- it would row like a pig. It's great with one angler- and a Ferrari when I'm alone. 14'x23" tubes are a good choice.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

#6 ·
I have a 16 foot cat, but I rarely take more than one passenger on it, and when I do, it's typically kids, so they don't mind being close. Two people can move the cat just fine. (the frame is kind of heavy, and I wouldn't want to haul it up hill for very far, but two people can handle it just fine)

I also have a 14 ft raft. (great for passengers) I prefer it with passengers. And I prefer fishing from the raft vs. the cat.

#7 ·
I think you should look at a 13'-14' raft, not a cataraft. The more substantial frame on the cat will make it heavy. I usually see fishermen in rafts, I think it is because rafts have a floor. A 14' boat is easy enough to manage on the river solo, it is the loading and unloading that is challenging. But a good trailer with a winch can remedy those challenges. Hopefully some fishermen while chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#9 ·
I have set up alot of fishing cats , hundreds. I actually prefer to fish from a cat in technical water. They can get sluggish if you overload them. You are going to want at least a 14. I run 14x24 tubes for extra floatation. Here is a cat frame that runs a passenger in front and one in the rear and it balances out the boat great for fishing. You will hear lots of get a raft but it really comes down to knowing how to set them up and knowing what kind of performance to expect from how you load the boat. The frame shown is only 82lbs for as big as it is with 2 dry boxes ,1 fish box, removable backrest,swivel lean bar, hard floors etc,etc.

Most of the modular frames are excessively heavy by the time you load them up with fittings. Ther are alot of mistakes people make when putting together fishing cats that kind of gives them a bad rap. If you know whats up they work pretty well.
Yellow Medical equipment Furniture Machine

#11 ·
As far as weight goes. Buy the time you put a good fishing frame on a raft and a cataraft. They are going to weight the same or close enough. I assume you will be starting out on class I to class III since you just started into whitewater. Cat is more forgiving than a raft. Easier to learn on. Cataraft stradles rocks that you did not see while you were busy fishing. Raft hits rock, standing fishermen falls over board, loses his favorite pole=bad day.

#18 ·
Felton 45. You need a 14 Cataraft. You and a friend can fish that thing all week. If you want to take 3 people down the river with you as you said with out gear for a day float than you can do this on a 14' cat. If you need to carry your boat over some obstacles with help from a friend than you need a 14' cat.

#19 ·
Thank you everyone for your replies! All of this information is great help! Greenwall that frame is awesome!! Hopefully I can fab one up just like it one day soon! Curtis Catman, yes after doing some research and hearing different peoples opinion I am definitely leaning towards a 14ft cat. My only concerns are being able to get a 14ft in and out of the water by myself. Would I be able to man handle a 14ft raft very easily? Any one have an aprox. weight of one fully done up for fishing, like Greenwall's?

#21 ·
Do not go round! It sounds like your primarily a fisherman and cats are much better and more comfortable for fishing. Round boats are much better for heavy loads for extended day trips. Don't worry so much about what you can row by yourself. You will be amazed at how easily your cat moves, even a big cat like a 16 or 18. My advice is to go with the biggest cat that will fit on the water your going to float on. If a 16 will fit go with it. Then you have the extra room for people and gear when you want. If 14 is the biggest boat that will fit on you water then go with larger diameter tubes.

If this is your first setup I would strongly recommend a modular NRS YOKE frame. They are great frames, strong and infinity adjustable so you can use it while you figure out exactly the set up you want to weld. Then sell it when your done because they have great resale value. Also they are not much heavier than the others. GreenWall ^ puts down other frames while constantly advertising his own stuff and the Buzz just lets him. No one really understands why.

#23 ·
Lol, sharing pictures isn't really advertising. Stating facts isn't putting something else down either. It would be pretty damn boring in the world if we only had one perspective all the time (as is frequently the case)on something in text without any photos. By the way the guy is making his own frame. Personally I like to see other peoples photos, I even made sure to post the ones from angles you couldn't see any name plates just for you OB1 so as not to spike your blood pressure :p

Osseous makes a good point about the amount of metal, the picture I showed was a huge guide frame and I wouldn't want to man handle it alone, it can be light but still akward to handle. It was something different than the answers I knew were coming though. Remember welded frames out number fittings 20 to 1 out here unless someone moved here or received internet advice. I have always done a good amount of modular and breakdown stuff in the past, just welded and machined connections not pipe fittings.

The whole fitting frame thing is a fairly new generation boater fad, the internet has been scaring new boaters into thinking you better get a fitting frame so you can move stuff around until you know what you are doing, I hear it all the time on the phone. The other generation doesn't listen to that bull and goes to someone who knows how to make a frame, then they balance their boat with people and cargo. I can balance any welded frame boat for any situation as well or better then moving bars around. There is no need for it unless you are jumping in a plane, then I tell them better call the nuts and bolts folks! Alot of people build in fittings because it is easy and more profitable and takes much less time than the week that can go in a welded frame with making all different parts, not because it is a superior way to build. I am off to make dreams come true again this morning, later OB1.

#22 ·
My angler station comes off- along with the large cooler which serves as their seat. I leave them at home when I am solo. I can anchor and fish and stand on my woven floor. The lean bar relocates to the front of my rowing station. I can easily handle it by myself and it weighs nowhere close to my 15' raft. All loaded up for 2 it is still way lighter- and easily carried when there is no ramp. You don't need (or want from your initial statement) all that extra metal.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Attachments

#26 ·
I have 16' cat (web floor), 16'raft and a 17' dory. Been rowing and fishing from them for 30 years. Dory is best, cat 2nd best to fish from IMHO.
That said I am thinking getting one of these for one or two people and ease of loading etc. I think it would be very versatile.
Dave Scadden Paddlesports

#27 ·
@ Greenwall, I really think that frame is sweet and all, but what do you think about the orange color? Would that spook fish?

Anyway, you make the same mistake all other fish frame builders make. I don't see any place on the frame big enough to store all the fish I catch!

#28 ·
Sounds like a 14' cat would be a good size for you, though I wonder how well you could fish 3, most guides I see have two fishermen, which looks more comfortable, to me.

If for some reason you were to be solo fishing, go with a little cat, they are just so dam fun to row!! Have an 11' culebra myself, light weight, and a blast on the water.

Also have a 14' nrs raft, I can move it by myself, but it is heavy, think you gain a lot of ease of handling with a cat, if you don't over load it.

A dory would we super sweet, but an inflatable boat would be harder to break while your learning, and cheaper to fix.

#30 ·
Hey Felton, something else that came to mind regarding handling / loading. My first cat was a 16' JPW with an NRS frame that had "EXCESSIVELY HEAVY" fittings and a full aluminum floor. The rig was too heavy for me to load and unload by myself which will be the case with any rig that will hold 3-5 people. I found the answer in a tilting aluminum snowmobile trailer. I could launch by myself by tilting the trailer into the water. Also I was able to easily load it by reversing the process. Just a thought.

#32 ·
I would second getting an adjustable frame to start, then you can set up how you want, run it for season or 2, to make sure you like it, then use it as a model for a home made version.
Get a tilt trailer if you can, will be worth while investment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.