Mountain Buzz banner

Cataract oar handle replacement?

Tags
cataract
6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  kengore 
#1 ·
Has anyone gone through the process of changing out Cataract oar handles? Looking to switch to counterbalanced handles. Nothing comes up when searching.

Thanks.

#3 ·
Had that same idea myself, use the spray in insulating foam to plug shaft in the direction of blade, then fill er up and silicone, haven't had time to try on an old oar shaft yet. Just might work good for cheap.

#4 ·
I did something similar on my old cataracts. I made lead ingots that fit inside the shaft and inserted them from the blade end, then put 1" pipe insulation into the shaft, just long enough so that the blade pushed in a little hard. That force held the lead up by the handle. Just note you probably need less than the 4 lbs most counter balanced shafts have. I used 2lbs in those oars. My Sawyers have 1 lb in one pair and 1.5 in the other. I can't really tell the difference between the two pairs.

#5 ·
I used wet toilet paper rolls wrapped in tin foil to cast the ingots. fwiw

Edit, actually I think I soaked the rolls in cooking spray not water. Hot lead and water don't mix.

#6 ·
Someone named avatard once did an excellent post about cutting down cataract handles. Unfortunately it involves losing 6" of shaft length. Which, if you ask the ladies, is totally unacceptable. I can write a separate writeup if you send me your oar and its ok to spend money to replace the handles with counterbalanced ones on your dime. Otherwise I got nothing ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.