Mountain Buzz banner

Colorado River at Pumphouse-State Bridge

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  David Miller 
#1 ·
Has anyone run this lately ? The rangers told me no canoes should attempt it and Duckies were swimming as well.

Duckie Doug

#2 ·
The water is still high, you can make it down in a ducky if you know the moves to avoid the pourovers. I ran it in my playboat last week and watched the duckier in our group go over a pourover and then the ducky popped up without the rider. He got back in but it's definitely good to have other people with for safety.

#4 ·
Not to scare you, but there was a death in an inflatable kayak this past week on that stretch. It was an older gent that was by himself I believe and dumped in Eye of the Needle and didn't come back up.

I ran it this past weekend in my raft. Granted a raft is much less intense than it might be in a duckie, but just be aware of what you are getting into before you just go do it. In the raft Eye of the Needle is a cakewalk, as well as Yarmony, but can be tricky if you aren't sure of how to approach those rapids.

#5 ·
Suggest you read We Swam the Grand Canyon: The True Story of a Cheap Vacation that Got a Little Out of Hand. If you're prepared to swim then go for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.