Mountain Buzz

Mountain Buzz (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/)
-   Whitewater Kayaking (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   What was new for 2014 (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/what-was-new-for-2014-a-54232.html)

streetdoctor 07-04-2014 09:59 AM

What was new for 2014

So we're a couple weeks passed peak, there's still plenty of time left to get on some new sections of river at respectable flows but what did you do this spring that was new for you? Hopefully this thread builds some motivation to stay after it! I know I still want to get on Stevens Down above 3.5', more of Clear Creek (upper and lower), Slaughterhouse, Upper East, and I'd like to hit Royal Gorge before it gets much lower. Not sure I'll be able to fit all that in but I'm going to try.

Arkansas- Browns Canyon 1900cfs (new run)
Arkansas- Numbers 2500cfs (new level)
Arkansas- Royal Gorge 1000cfs (new level/playboat)
Poudre- Lower Mish thru Bridges @ 2.75' (new run)
Poudre- Lower Rustic 3.9' (new run)
Eagle- Minturn 720cfs (new run)
Eagle- Dowd Chute/Upper Eagle 5.25' (new run)
Clear Creek- Dumont to Idaho Springs 850cfs (new level)
Platte- Foxton 626cfs (new level)
Boulder creek- town run 447cfs (new run)
Boulder creek- blue bridge through town 330cfs (new run)

I've also met a bunch of new people this year that has really helped expand my boating. Hopefully the water holds throughout July!

mikesee 07-04-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by streetdoctor (Post 368152)
So we're a couple weeks passed peak, there's still plenty of time left to get on some new sections of river at respectable flows but what did you do this spring that was new for you? Hopefully this thread builds some motivation to stay after it! I know I still want to get on Stevens Down above 3.5', more of Clear Creek (upper and lower), Slaughterhouse, Upper East, and I'd like to hit Royal Gorge before it gets much lower. Not sure I'll be able to fit all that in but I'm going to try.

Arkansas- Browns Canyon 1900cfs (new run)
Arkansas- Numbers 2500cfs (new level)
Arkansas- Royal Gorge 1000cfs (new level/playboat)
Poudre- Lower Mish thru Bridges @ 2.75' (new run)
Poudre- Lower Rustic 3.9' (new run)
Eagle- Minturn 720cfs (new run)
Eagle- Dowd Chute/Upper Eagle 5.25' (new run)
Clear Creek- Dumont to Idaho Springs 850cfs (new level)
Platte- Foxton 626cfs (new level)
Boulder creek- town run 447cfs (new run)
Boulder creek- blue bridge through town 330cfs (new run)

I've also met a bunch of new people this year that has really helped expand my boating. Hopefully the water holds throughout July!

Nice work.

Hoping to get on Slaughterhouse on Monday...

jmacn 07-04-2014 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tepeats Creek

streetdoctor 07-05-2014 12:51 PM

255 views and 2 replies? Damn that's not much stoke... I was hoping this would be similar to the "how many river days" thread. Hopefully everyone is just out boating (I'm stuck at work).

I'm headed down to meet up with a buddy monday in BV. If I can talk him into slaughterhouse I'm in. When were you thinking?

BoilermakerU 07-05-2014 01:26 PM

OK, I am not boating as much as I'd like either. Also not a kayaker, so,hope it's OK. LoL

New for me is putting in on Boulder Creek at the bridge above the whitewateer park and running the refurbished drop (to Scott Carpenter Park), and doing it at a new level of around 500 cfs. Not that exciting I know, but it was for the kids! Can it be considered new just because they did some work on the creek, as did mother nature last fall?

Also new to me is Clear Creek at 1,050 cfs and putting in at Outter Limits, taking out after the Beaver Drops. Makes the Idaho Springs Town Run more fun and a little longer.

And now add Westwater at 10,000 cfs in a mini-Max. New level, new craft for me.

Still hoping to add some new stuff as well, new levels are all behind me I guess...

mikesee 07-05-2014 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by streetdoctor (Post 368222)
255 views and 2 replies? Damn that's not much stoke... I was hoping this would be similar to the "how many river days" thread. Hopefully everyone is just out boating (I'm stuck at work).

I'm headed down to meet up with a buddy monday in BV. If I can talk him into slaughterhouse I'm in. When were you thinking?

New for '14:
10 days in Veracruz,
Waterton,
3 day hike in/float out of Deso at peak,
Taylor Park run,
North Fork Gunny,
Big Sur,
Plateau Creek,
Upper Animas,
Ruby/Anthracite/Dark Canyon.

For Monday, ~noonish?

Could be talked into BV, just a much longer drive home for me...

Caleb125 07-05-2014 06:43 PM

Since I just started last year most things I have done are new.

Shoshone 5,500 cfs (highest flow done at)
Vail Play Park (New Play Park)
Gopro games (Down River Sprint/ first comp)
Dowd Chute 7.6 Feet (First class IV and highest flow)
Birdbath on Homestake (First waterfall)
Riverbend (new run)
Edwards Mile (new run)