Mountain Buzz banner

Goin East?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  FrankC 
#1 ·
Hey Mountain Buzzers,

I'm thinking about going east this summer (2014) and am wondering what a good river to float for more than one day. I am more concerned with scenery than technical water, but I also don't want a slow flowing lake. A mixture of both would be really nice. I have rowed big rapids in Idaho and Utah. Any ideas????

#2 ·
Thats a pretty open question (i.e. what are you paddling?)

But just in WV some scenic ones are:
-New
-Gauley
-Smoke Hole Canyon
-The Trough
-The Greenbrier
-Even the Potomac (maybe with part of the North Branch)
-The Cheat and maybe up into one of it's forks

In Va you have the James or the South fork of shenandoah
In KY you could go to the Red River gorge or Big South Fork

#4 ·
I wouldn't head east for what you are looking for. Summer is not the best time for water in the east, and the east is not the best location for multi-days. Sure there are rivers out east that run in the summer, and you can turn many of them into mutli-days, but you'd probably be better served checking out rivers and states out west that you may have overlooked so far.

#5 ·
Actually, all of the big rivers will have plenty of water to float but if you are looking for a multi-day with decent to major rapids I would hit the New River in WV. There are major rapids in the Gorge and the sections above that have moving water sections interspersed with some rapids. Bring your fishing rod because the smallmouth fishing is very good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.