Mountain Buzz

Mountain Buzz (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/)
-   Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f41/)
-   -   Paddle cat for two; One man kayak (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f41/paddle-cat-for-two-one-man-kayak-50470.html)

Gremlin 09-24-2013 08:46 PM

Paddle cat for two; One man kayak

What would be the best Shredder type boat for one person with a kayak paddle? I also want to paddle with a passenger. I don't want an oarframe for day trips through class III+ rapids but might want to add one for self-support trips. I am looking for something equally suitable for one person or two without a frame. Already have duckies but want cat tubes and to sit side-by-side. Any leads on the Russian designs:twisted:?

johnovice 09-24-2013 09:48 PM

Display Products

http://www.jpwinc.com/products/prodd...6-fat-pack-cat

johnovice 09-25-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 336401)
What would be the best Shredder type boat for one person with a kayak paddle?...and to sit side-by-side.

The one person w/kayak paddle (narrow) and "side-by-side" (wider) is a bit tricky to accomplish with one boat.

cayo 2 09-25-2013 09:57 AM

There is /was a company called Water Wolf out of Telluride that made modular cats that you could assemble into several configurations

use the search function there are some comments on an old post...their current website is not so helpful ...it used to have some illustrations of the set ups....

k2andcannoli 09-25-2013 11:01 AM

I feel the only way you would accomplish this is buy having two frames for a small cat. One for r2, maybe with some paddle saddles if you really want to be different. Another much narrower frame for ik style paddling.

I cant wrap my mind around a frameless design with interchangeable width and propulsion methods...maybe a custom built paddlecat with swapable thwarts. But I dont think anybody makes a paddlecat with removable thwarts (?)

I gotta.ask why?

abron 09-25-2013 11:05 AM

Culebra looks fun for R2:

Display Products

JPW are very kind folks if you call them for advice...

Jensjustduckie 09-25-2013 11:23 AM

Gremlin, check out the Pack Cat that's already been posted, also a JPW cutthroat is a bit wider but could work for what you're looking for.

tpalka 09-25-2013 06:24 PM

I'm not sure that Culebra is what you'd be looking for, but if you're interested I'll have one with a custom frame for sale in the next few weeks... PM me if you'd like more info.

Gremlin 09-25-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k2andcannoli (Post 336460)
I cant wrap my mind around a frameless design with interchangeable width and propulsion methods...maybe a custom built paddlecat with swapable thwarts. But I dont think anybody makes a paddlecat with removable thwarts (?)

I gotta.ask why?

You are probably right and that is why I can't find what I'm looking for. I have a 2 person IK I would like to retire. I usually run it solo but the flexibility is nice. So, I own IK paddles. Aside from a two-man IK, my fleet consists of a one man IK and a 16' cat. I have seen images of paddlecats rowed solo with an IK paddle and I have seen paddlecats R-2'd. I guess I want something I can run solo or two-man that is a little more capable, and fun, to replace an IK. I feel a paddlecat would be ideal for my usual trips if I could manage it myself if needed.

orto11 09-26-2013 10:10 AM

While it is wider than you are looking for probably I am going to give one of the aire saber a try.I saw one and they are very well constructed. My problem with jacks is although they have been building boats forever the workmanship is pretty sketchy,the welding on the seams is not the most professional looking,they still use old school hand cut seam tape it looks like.It bubbles and fizzes air a bit, you can see some of the air leaks. I do love my paco pad though.

I think they need to update their construction methods a bit, that and the 32oz pvc is a no go for me.