Mountain Buzz

Mountain Buzz (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/)
-   Rafting | Gear Talk (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Is clearence between drybox and tubes required? (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f44/is-clearence-between-drybox-and-tubes-required-49881.html)

JustKip 08-18-2013 11:27 AM

Is clearence between drybox and tubes required?

I'm shopping for a kitchen box, and most of the ones I'm seeing "off the shelf" are 38" wide. that's exactly the distance between the tubes on my raft. Will this wear holes in the tubes? If so, how much clearance should I have between boxes and tubes?

Thanks, kip

BCJ 08-18-2013 11:38 AM

On my current and last 3 boats I had dryboxes custom made so they would the entire space/distance between the tubes, but I put adhesive backed mini-cell foam (the thin stuff) on the box to reduce abrasion. It's probably overkill, but I do this to stiffen the boat because, after thwart removal, there is nothing to hold the tubes out where they belong from side to side. I think it helps. To each his own.

TriBri1 08-18-2013 02:01 PM

I recommend ordering an inch or two narrower than the tube to tube length. I also recommend setting up your boat with the frame and cinch it down then measure the space between tubes. I found that the manufacture specs are based on the width with thwarts, but when you use a frame the tubes pull in a bit when you tighten up the frame straps.

If it is close putting a buffer as BCJ said is a good option. Using the drybox as support for the tubes is not needed, the frame gives the boat the support in place of the thwarts.

cataraftgirl 08-18-2013 03:58 PM

What kind of thwart attachment system does your raft have? If it has the "knuckles" then you'll need to take that into consideration, as they take up space. My Hyside raft's inside width is listed at 1 inch larger than my dry box width on the manufacturer specs. I can just barely fit the dry box in, but the hard knuckles prevent it from rubbing on the tubes.

Matty 08-18-2013 04:46 PM

I had them leave the thwarts and thwart attachments off of my new Hyside, for that reason exactly. It saved me a bunch of dough, too!

waterislife 11-04-2013 12:51 AM

box sliding back and forth

I hadnt thought about the frame making the tubes a little closer Im looking at putting a frame on my nrs 12ft and have been looking for a box to put on it but all I can find is a 26 inch box and I have about 32 inches between tubes, do you think that this will leave a lot of room for the box to slide back and forth or do you think it will not have as much space between the box and tubes as Im thinking there will be

Sleepless 11-04-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterislife (Post 339492)
I hadnt thought about the frame making the tubes a little closer Im looking at putting a frame on my nrs 12ft and have been looking for a box to put on it but all I can find is a 26 inch box and I have about 32 inches between tubes, do you think that this will leave a lot of room for the box to slide back and forth or do you think it will not have as much space between the box and tubes as Im thinking there will be

Yea, going to shift like crazy. Are you familiar with the adjustable collars used to keep DRE captain chairs in place? Two of those will work like a charm or wait till you find a bigger box. I say max out your dry box space. Can't have too much in my opinion.

waterislife 11-04-2013 01:36 AM

I havent seen them Ill look into them I really dont like the idea of having any space between the tube and box as I agree I want the most storage space as possible I just really dont want to pay for a custom made box is 32in just a weird size? I know from working on the river that every gear raft ive rowed was much larger than mine and the boxes where made for those much larger rafts but I havent had much luck finding one in the size that Ive been looking for, I guess a custom made box would be my only option unless someone knows of a company or place that makes different sizes

cataraftgirl 11-04-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterislife (Post 339494)
I havent seen them Ill look into them I really dont like the idea of having any space between the tube and box as I agree I want the most storage space as possible I just really dont want to pay for a custom made box is 32in just a weird size? I know from working on the river that every gear raft ive rowed was much larger than mine and the boxes where made for those much larger rafts but I havent had much luck finding one in the size that Ive been looking for, I guess a custom made box would be my only option unless someone knows of a company or place that makes different sizes

I went through this when I was setting up my cataraft with a 66 inch NRS frame. I couldn't find a 34 inch long dry box. The smallest stock ones I could find were 36 long. So I got mine custom. Sorry, not answer you were hoping for.

johnovice 11-04-2013 08:00 AM

I recently got a custom box and was not charged extra -- give a call or email to the supplier/ manufacturer-- they may help you out.