Mountain Buzz banner

Gnarly beat-down explained

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Gnome79 
#1 ·
Not too long ago a video for carnage of the year surfaced where a guy tried a reverse free wheel, and ended up getting stuffed behind the curtain of the falls for about 5 minutes!

This video ended up on reddit.com/r/whitewater, a small community of boaters, mostly from the south-east I think.

Turns out the guy in the video also visits that website, and he wrote a detailed explanation of the event. It's the top comment on the page.

Crazy Beatdown : whitewater

Here's the video for those who haven't seen it.
Carnage! Entry - ALAN O'DWYER (IRL) - Stuck in pocket behind waterfall on Vimeo

#2 ·
That 's a very scary situation but not much of a 'beatdown '.I remember Greg Schwendinger telling about a guy named George who first hucked the 30 footer at La's Conchas, Guatemala.He got stuck behind the curtain.Somehow Greg knew he was ok in the airpocket (I think he pushed his boat out somehow) but the throwbag kept bouncing off the curtain.To get it to penetrate he took the rope out and filled it with rocks making it heavy enough to go through the falls and hopefully not tag the victim in the head.It worked.

#4 ·
There is a drop called Lava on the Farmlands section of the White Salmon where people get behind the curtain on a semi-regular basis. It's where you are headed if you miss your boof, basically. The trick to getting a rope in there, I'm told, is to either put a rock in your throwbag or to attach the rope to your paddle, then spear the paddle through. The people on the other side don't mind being hit in the head at that moment.

#5 ·
during the part where he was still in his boat; I caught myself shifting and leaning in my seat.... as if trying to keep my balance in my cushy assed office chair.

A newly hired nurse taking vitals for my next patient was watching from across the hall. After sitting the patient in a room, nurse (who is from dominican republic and has strong accent) came to my doorway with a puzzled look and said "deed you get dat devil out of your ass yet..., cause they are ready in room two!!!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.