Mountain Buzz

Mountain Buzz (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/)
-   Whitewater Kayaking (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Flow peaks from Dam to Lodore (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/flow-peaks-from-dam-to-lodore-43502.html)

Fuzzie 06-07-2012 06:32 PM

Flow peaks from Dam to Lodore

Here is the question(s)... How long do you think it takes water to get downriver? When will the daily peak out of Flaming Gorge Dam reach the main rapids (the Disasters through Hells Half) in Lodore Canyon? I am guessing a little more than 24 hours but do not really know. Chime in.

asleep.at.the.oars 06-08-2012 09:41 AM

When I was up there regularly it always seemed like the higher water came through Lodore in the late afternoon and evening, overnight in Split.

pinemnky13 06-08-2012 09:54 AM

Here you go: Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: Grand Junction: Green River near Greendale

F.A.A.C. Slim 06-08-2012 10:49 AM

I'm launching June 10 from Little Hole and going all the way to Split Mountain (June 19 takeout). The question Fuzzie asks is an interesting math puzzle. The dam release daily peak is 3PM to 10PM (looks like 2250cfs at the peak electrical production period). So if the average river flowrate is 3mph (a guess), and Disaster Falls are at mile 50 (start at Flaming Gorge Dam), one would conclude that the release at 6 PM at mile 0 would arrive at mile 50 16.666 hours later or about noon the following day.

This is in concurrenced with asleep at the oars and general knowledge....float Lodore rapids in the afternoon.
cheers

Bureau of Reclamation - Upper Colorado Region Water Operations: Current Status: Flaming Gorge Reservoir

kwagunt2001 06-08-2012 11:00 AM

re: Flow Peaks from Dam to Lodore

Was up there last week. Dave the Ranger said that flows take about 48 hours to reach Canyon of Lodore when releasing in the upper teens+. We didn't pay much attention to water levels. Regarding flows, it is what it is. Go scout and make the run. Water dropped late afternoon/evening at camp 1 (Kolb) was rising by morning and continued rising through Hells (noon) and then overnight drop at Camp 2 (Limestone).
Re: Hells at ~2300. Lots of water going over Lucifer and pillowing. Looks like it should take you left. All 5 oar boats "went" Right. Don't fight it and it will let you pass. If you take more than 4-5 oar strokes then something's gone wrong. Disaster was barely a bump and Triplet was wide open.
Have fun

Fuzzie 06-08-2012 01:48 PM

Great replies! I'll be there in a week and a half myself. It seems the general conclusion is to not be in a big hurry in the AM, the peak comes through the rapids after lunch. I'll post my observations after the trip.

johnovice 06-08-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwagunt2001 (Post 278541)
... Looks like it should take you left. All 5 oar boats "went" Right. Don't fight it and it will let you pass.

Intresting. We scouted Lucifer in Sept. of 2010 at about 1800cfs, IIRC. It really looked like left was best, but we watched a few rafts get in some trouble and decided right was right - go with the flow. Double duckied it right -- no problem at all. I had no idea if this applied at other water levels.

Fuzzie 06-25-2012 11:53 AM

Well, the higher water comes through after noon. We camped at wade and curtis the first night. The next morning we watched it come up just before noon and pushed off. I think it keeps getting higher all through the afternoon.

kazak4x4 06-25-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzie (Post 278571)
Great replies! I'll be there in a week and a half myself. It seems the general conclusion is to not be in a big hurry in the AM, the peak comes through the rapids after lunch. I'll post my observations after the trip.

I wouldn't wait too long, the afternoon winds are bad now. Two weeks ago we experienced 40-50mph before the big rapids and it was pure hell.

Had a flip at Triplet with all kinds of carnage and then we had to run Hell's Half mile at around 5:30pm. Hell's is really an easy rapid once you catch the current. All of us went right of Lucifier and then left of the rock pile below and had very clean runs. I never seen the left side run that everyone talks about, looks like too much work to me. :confused:

Alex