Mountain Buzz

Mountain Buzz (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/)
-   Whitewater Kayaking (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Self support kayak chair? (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/self-support-kayak-chair-42150.html)

deepsouthpaddler 04-07-2012 06:02 PM

Self support kayak chair?

Any ideas out the for chair / back support on multiday kayak self support trips? Kayaking all day and sitting on the ground at night is hard on my lower back. Saw one of the guys in a bomb flow video sitting in what looked like a crazy creek camp chair placed on top of an upside down kayak. Got me thinking a nice chair or seat would be great on a multiday. Any thoughts or experience? I use a big Agnes air mattress so the therma rest rig up contraptions are out.

cataraftgirl 04-07-2012 06:27 PM

I'm not sure where you will be doing your multiday self supports, but if your have trees available, then I'd suggest a hammock. Absolutely the best way to relax your back at the end of the day. I never hit the river without mine anymore (and I'm a rafter, who can also carry a real camp chair). You can lay in it or use it as a chair. A single hammock packs down to the size of a softball & doesn't weight very much. I learned about hammocks from the ultralight backpacking crowd. A lot of them use hammocks & ultralight tarps now instead of tents.
Trek Light single or Compact, or ENO single are good choices.

KJ

Melrose 04-07-2012 07:02 PM

nadachair

1 Attachment(s)
Nada Chair: Home Page
These are dope! Light,fold up in their own pouch, and really work.

wildh2onriver 04-07-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cataraftgirl (Post 268671)
I'm not sure where you will be doing your multiday self supports, but if your have trees available, then I'd suggest a hammock. Absolutely the best way to relax your back at the end of the day. I never hit the river without mine anymore (and I'm a rafter, who can also carry a real camp chair). You can lay in it or use it as a chair. A single hammock packs down to the size of a softball & doesn't weight very much. I learned about hammocks from the ultralight backpacking crowd. A lot of them use hammocks & ultralight tarps now instead of tents.
Trek Light single or Compact, or ENO single are good choices.

KJ

What's also cool about those hammocks is you can also sit in them.

cataraftgirl 04-07-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildh2onriver (Post 268679)
What's also cool about those hammocks is you can also sit in them.

Yep....and you're not on the ground. Sit up & read, lay down & nap, even sleep in it overnight. The best nights sleep I've ever had outdoors. As long as you have a couple trees (or other sturdy anchor points) about 12-15 feet apart you're good to go.

swimteam101 04-07-2012 08:03 PM

Alite makes very $$$ portable chairs.

atom 04-07-2012 08:58 PM

I use this
Crazy Creek Hex 2.0 Original Camp Chair - Free Shipping at REI.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler (Post 268669)
Any ideas out the for chair / back support on multiday kayak self support trips? Kayaking all day and sitting on the ground at night is hard on my lower back. Saw one of the guys in a bomb flow video sitting in what looked like a crazy creek camp chair placed on top of an upside down kayak. Got me thinking a nice chair or seat would be great on a multiday. Any thoughts or experience? I use a big Agnes air mattress so the therma rest rig up contraptions are out.

Anchorless 04-08-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atom (Post 268687)

These can also kinda double as sleeping pads, if you're space crunched.

RiverWrangler 04-08-2012 03:27 AM

This thing is what I use and I'm pretty sure there is a model that fits most Big Agnes pads. Exped-ChairKit - Your sofa in the wild

It's pretty light but definitely in the decadent/gratuitous category. For a long trip where weight isn't a big issue it's completely worth taking a chair. For anything with major portaging find a rock to sit against and stretch like a yoga champ.

carnuba 04-08-2012 10:27 AM

Big Agnes also makes their own version if your worried about compatibility
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/De...igEasyChairKit