Mountain Buzz

Mountain Buzz (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/)
-   Whitewater Kayaking (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Cataract take out - Hite or Dirty Devil (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/cataract-take-out-hite-or-dirty-devil-39648.html)

Pcdc2 08-29-2011 08:36 AM

Cataract take out - Hite or Dirty Devil

Hey All,

Quick question, are people taking out at Hite or the Dirty Devil take-out currently? I have a Cat trip this weekend and am not sure what lake Powell's level is like right now.

Thanks!

Josh

dgosn 08-29-2011 10:41 AM

Lake Powell Water Database

remember, you are supposed to pay to use the Hite Ramp as it's a National Wreckreation Site.

durangloski 08-31-2011 04:52 PM

HITE

I talked to the Ranger the other day and she said there was about 15 feet of water left on the ramp. We're using HITE!!! Dirty Devil is always a De Rigging mess, But it is Closer! Closer to I 70 , bETTER if it is Windy , and FREE... You decide..

Pcdc2 09-01-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durangloski (Post 247651)
I talked to the Ranger the other day and she said there was about 15 feet of water left on the ramp. We're using HITE!!! Dirty Devil is always a De Rigging mess, But it is Closer! Closer to I 70 , bETTER if it is Windy , and FREE... You decide..

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I think we're going to try the Dirty Devil and see how it goes!

calirado 09-12-2011 03:34 PM

Do you need a motor for both take outs? I have done Cat pleanty of times but all after 2001 when the lake dropped. Is the level high enough that an outboard is a necesisty (whithin good reason for a 6 day trip)?

86304 09-12-2011 09:38 PM

Pcdc2,

how was the dirty devil takeout?

bob

Pcdc2 09-13-2011 08:35 AM

The take out at the Dirty Devil was not bad. We got there on labor day at about 4pm. There was no one else at the ramp which was nice. It is kind of a muddy area. There is a sort of ramp made of gravel that backs into the lake, but if you're not on the "ramp" there is quite a bit of mud. I was happy with the decision simply because we didnt have to motor the extra miles to Hite, and you're right on the freeway to Hanksville.

I would imagine that if there were more groups at the ramp, it could be a headache. There were only a few other cars there though, so I assume most groups were using Hite.

As far as Calirado's motor question, there river ends right below rapid 28 (29 was washed out, with no current). I forget the exact mileage (don't have my map on me at the moment) but it would be about a 25-28 mile row out with absolutely no current, and often decent sized Lake Powell waves. We camped at Ten Cent our last night, and had about a 30 mile day to take-out the next day which took us from about 8:30am until 4pm with a motor after the last couple rapids. It would probably take at least two to three days to do the row out without a motor, not worth it imo. I'd rather have the motor and spend most of my time in the canyon.

BCJ 09-13-2011 12:31 PM

Talked to a friend recently whose daughter has been working tamarisk removal and did Cat a couple weeks ago. Lake Foul is backed up all the way to 28 as the previous poster said. I wouldn't go without a motor.

durangloski 09-14-2011 10:37 AM

We just used HITE a day ago. We got to the RAMP at 9pm in a terrible storm. I am not sure we could have found Dirty Devil at night ( in the Rain and wind) Hite has some lights that ( SORT OF ) that mark the ramp.
If they continue to fill Lake Mead all winter, we will be back to using Dirty Devil as the only ram exit in a few weeks.