Mountain Buzz

Mountain Buzz (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/)
-   Whitewater Kayaking (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   What's Reno, NV Like? (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/whats-reno-nv-like-32630.html)

DanOrion 08-04-2010 03:03 PM

What's Reno, NV Like?

Looking at some options to make a move. Any thoughts on Reno, NV? Specifically:
Are there good after-work type boating opportunities, besides the park?
Are there good day-trip boating opportunities? Year round or seasonal?
Can solitude be found in the nearby hills?
Anything in particular that is noteworthy?

caspermike 08-04-2010 03:08 PM

id go if i were you.. cali classics.

possumturd 08-04-2010 03:35 PM

reno

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanOrion (Post 196552)
Looking at some options to make a move. Any thoughts on Reno, NV? Specifically:
Are there good after-work type boating opportunities, besides the park?
Are there good day-trip boating opportunities? Year round or seasonal?
Can solitude be found in the nearby hills?
Anything in particular that is noteworthy?

My sister lives just south of Reno and she says it's a mixed bag. She doesn't really like living in a state that is slave to the gaming industry. Traffic around Tahoe is miserable sometimes. Numerous stories about not being able to get where they want to go because of it (Cali side). Kids like the skiing close by at Mt Rose. I think Reno just got identified as one of the housing markets likely not to recover soon if ever. Housing is down 44% over the last 3 years and unemployment around 13%. Maybe a good time to buy of course.

Sis likes the people in her neighborhood.

Dry as a popcorn fart

deepsouthpaddler 08-04-2010 03:41 PM

Dan, don't know a lot about reno, but I do know its very close to a boat load of cali classics. I suspect that most of it would be day trip territory, but you are close to the yuba and feather drainages, which have excellent whitewater.

Also it seems like cali has a pretty long season if you are willing to drive. Cali gets rain in the spring (march/april) and the snowmelt comes in the summer (april-june) and there are several releases that allow folks to boat in the late summer.

I've seen some writeups by Stephen Wright... He lives in Reno and seems to be paddling a ton of cali runs while CO is bone dry. I don't think pro kayakers tend to live in places that are crappy for kayaking.

Also, Cali is the promised land... there are girls in bikinis as the put ins and takeouts, the rivers are incredible, and the drops are fantastic. Just watch out for the poison oak.

One downside may be the afterwork options. I think the front range has it great for afterwork options when the season is on. Not sure how the afterwork is in reno outside the playpark.

alanbol 08-04-2010 05:20 PM

I have friends that live in Reno. They wouldn't live anywhere else.

Lots of stretches of the Truckee river upstream from Reno are run, but I've never done them so I can't say anything about that.

Pool-drop rivers in Cali are awesome.

Backcountry skiing is great right out of town. The snow is heavy, but there's generally more of it and the avalanche danger is usually far lower.

East side of the Sierra is stunningly beautiful.

G-man 08-04-2010 06:30 PM

Hey Dan,

My wife is from reno and we are actually going there friday. I hated it at first, now i love going there. There is a lot of outdoor activities right out the back door. Lots to do in the hills, great hiking and winter sports. you are also close to a lot of rivers within a few hours. other than the park in town there ar not a lot of after work activities, but the boating scene is growing there every year. they now have a w/w fest.

Overall i would say if you have a good reason to move there then you will be ok.

garrett