Mountain Buzz

Mountain Buzz (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/)
-   Whitewater Kayaking (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Jackson Stars and outfitting sucking (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/jackson-stars-and-outfitting-sucking-32411.html)

extremekevin 07-24-2010 02:26 AM

Jackson Stars and outfitting sucking

I love the Jackson Star Series, it's amazing. But the backband is like a F***ING knife going into my back each time I loop. Everyone I've talked to says this is a big problem with the Star series. I say it's worth the pain to be honest, I've tried the Nemis, Biscuit, and Molan and feel that none compare to the Star on all levels (minus comfort with the Biscuit and Molan). I do feel that the firmness of the backband does make it easier to perform moves (comparable to Tour de France type riders preferring rock hard seats over comfortable seats) but the pain does take away from the enjoyment somewhat. But I'm wondering, is there any way to remedy the knife like feel without jeopardizing performance? Or do I have to live with the knife like feel and suck it up?

Paul 07-24-2010 11:47 AM

I've demoed the Super Star recently and had a similar experience. It wasn't exactly painful, but the backband is narrow and low. It just isn't high enough to feel secure, and it wants to slide lower during loop attempts.

I was thinking that tighter hip pads might make a tight backband less important. I also wonder if anyone's had any success substituting another possibly wider backband?

eklars 07-24-2010 12:37 PM

Quote:

I was thinking that tighter hip pads might make a tight backband less important.
I've just switched to mega tight hip pads in my superstar. They are a little angled so I am squished forward by them. It really helps keep me forward, but only good enough for river running. For playpark I still need to crank the back band, more to keep me down in the seat than forward.

I get abrasions from the ropes around the edges of the back band. trying to figure out what to do about that, otherwise I am good. I don't get pinched.

kayakfreakus 07-24-2010 12:51 PM

I think they started doing it on this years models, but taking some bungee cord and attaching it to the upper part of the cockpit rim and the seat so it pulls your backband up and doesn't let it slide may help as well.

eklars 07-24-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayakfreakus (Post 195251)
I think they started doing it on this years models, but taking some bungee cord and attaching it to the upper part of the cockpit rim and the seat so it pulls your backband up and doesn't let it slide may help as well.

Yeah, I am in a 2010. I've got the bungees jacked. So maybe thats why I don't get the pinch. Would be easy to add to an older boat.