Mountain Buzz banner

Front Range Spring Storm

5K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  DanielGlauser 
#1 ·
Looking impressive! Gauges haven't spiked yet, but upslope flow is slamming into the front range right now, with another big band of of moisture right behind it. Thinking its gonna get the creeks running.

Bear gauge showing an uptick @6:45am. I bet it will be runnable by late morning or mid day as radar shows it getting precip now.

I wonder if SSV is running? Anyone got a visual or take a look at the foot gauge? St Vrain in lyons bumped over 300, and one of the ditches in lyons is showing 170 cfs. There might be enough in SSV?

Little Thompson has 217cfs in it. Detail Graph Little T rarely gets water, and sounds like a tempting adventure.

Post up some visuals if you get them.

Today and Tomorrow looking promising!

Welded up the super mank nomad last night in preparation for a spring mank mission. Game on!

#2 ·
Yo Ian!
Looking like our escalante trip may be a bust. I'm workin today but could meet you for an after work run. Bear, SSV...something. Might even be close tomorrow if there are good options. I got a demo checked out for this evening so i'm not worried about the mank! Probably be in the field today so give me a call and let me know if you wanna get on something!

Later,
Gavin

#3 ·
Yo. I've been looking at that st. vrain as well, i think ssv has to have water in it. At the minimium the narrows would be in.
I'd be down for a little t. mission as well. Let me know, have the outfitting back in the freshly welded nomad! Well almost, going to go work this morning, but can paddle by noon or one.

#4 ·
Yo fellas. The bear gauge shows a slight lull at 7:45. Wondering if it is snow/sleeting too much in the foothills to get things going big. I may be able to do a 2pm run on bear if it comes up though. Have to leave from d-town for the airport by 4. And I have no mank boat, so we'll see what flows do.

#8 ·
Even a good boat is just one rock hit away from mank boat status...

Looks like all the gauges on the plains and in the towns are cranking, but the gauges on the creeks in the foothills aren't really bumping up. Could be snow in the foothills, but I recall bear running well with a snowline at red rocks in 2007. In wait and see mode to see what the gauges look like in another hour of so.

Its tempting to think SSV has water, but there's a fair chance a good bit of the water is coming in near town and downstream of the run. Bear is still hovering in the low 100's but its 300+ in town. South platte is cranking in denver now.

After looking at the relationship between the foothills gauges and the plains gauges for several creeks, my guess is that the little T has 200+ on the plains, but likely 1/3 of that in the foothills. Thinking similar for SSV. Wish I had a visual before I started driving...

#9 ·
Could be right deepsouth. 1/3 of 200 may not quite be enough. Might have to reconsider. I was hoping for 1/2of 217 which would probably be good according to CRC. If it starts to get even colder probably will drop through the day though.

Anybody in Lyons have time to get a quick visual on Little T. Marty you out there? Booth? Somebody?

#28 ·
SSV was at a minimum level for the standard run. New guage was at 6" (black line) surging to 7" at both four pm and 6:30 when i checked it. The dwr graph showed a free fall of 80cfs in town while we were on there, but didn't see much correlation of dropping from watching the new guage. Maybe it was the nsv that ended up having more flow?

THe narrows were definitely in at a low flow, like i said the rest of the run was low, but fun for the first time out this year, all the larger rapids were filled in nice, just a lot of fu rocks inbetween. Scott estimated about 120 cfs in there.

One log in the busy water after the rock you kind of have to duck rapid...known as left, left, right, left to some. The main current does push you into this log.

One other log somewhere past the slot drop, but before the island drop. This second one is almost river wide, but not in really busy water and we ducked under on river left at this level. That will change at any higher flows. Other than that it was clear.

Hope you'll got some frigid water today!

Didn't check out little T, but it sounds like it was really willowy, and this was over a decade ago...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.