Mountain Buzz

Mountain Buzz (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/)
-   Whitewater Kayaking (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Rescue PFD's (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/rescue-pfds-27538.html)

Mmcquillen 09-13-2009 06:14 PM

Rescue PFD's

Hey, I was wondering what some people think on the astral rescue vest and stohlquists rescue vest. I need a new vest and can't decide on one.

ACC 09-13-2009 06:21 PM

I've owned the stohlquist, lotus designs, and astral rescue pfds. The green jacket by astral is by far the best one out there. super comfortable, easy on & off, nice pocket spaces, and great coverage/protection. The stolquist x-tract is comfortable to wear, but has almost no storage space, which is annoying for a rescue vest. The astral is more expensive, but totally worth it in my opinion.

Mmcquillen 09-13-2009 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACC (Post 161228)
I've owned the stohlquist, lotus designs, and astral rescue pfds. The green jacket by astral is by far the best one out there. super comfortable, easy on & off, nice pocket spaces, and great coverage/protection. The stolquist x-tract is comfortable to wear, but has almost no storage space, which is annoying for a rescue vest. The astral is more expensive, but totally worth it in my opinion.

thanks thats the one i was leaning towards

riverruner5 09-14-2009 12:40 AM

Astral

I'm listing a brand new with tags M/L Astral Green Jacket in red (too small for me) for $180.00 if you are interested.

[email protected]

tallboy 09-15-2009 12:00 AM

If you have any length in your torso the green won't fit. for some reason they made the height static so it doesn't fit tall guys. The extrasport and kokatat are also good options

panicman 09-15-2009 09:58 AM

I have the stolquist XTRAC and as soon as I have some extra cash i am going to get the astral rescue vest. Better attachment points from what I have scene and better pockets. Also I removed my rescue ring and harness from my stolquist because quite frankly I don't trust it in releasing me safely. I have used it a few times in practice situation and it did not release very easlily which made me quite nervous about using it in a real situation.

mtnkayaker 09-15-2009 10:17 AM

iam looking at getting an astral green vest but i really really want a lotus designs rescue vest wore one in colombia and loved it just cant find one if anyone had a line on a m/l please let me know..in good shape

ACC 09-15-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnkayaker (Post 161382)
iam looking at getting an astral green vest but i really really want a lotus designs rescue vest wore one in colombia and loved it just cant find one if anyone had a line on a m/l please let me know..in good shape

I've got a large lotus designs rescue vest in electric blue that is in great shape that I would sell. $100?

EZ 09-15-2009 12:36 PM

Easy on/off?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACC (Post 161228)

I have found the exact opposite on the Astral Green Vest. I find it to be a total pain in the ass to get on and off, I have to completely loosen all the straps and then it is still pretty tight to pull over my head. I wish they had put in a side zipper or something like the old Lotus Sherman/P Vest.

Also, the side pockets are completely unreachable. How the hell do they expect me to be able to reach around and open a pocket that is basically right over where my kidneys are. The zippers tend to open by themselves.

Once I have the vest on, it is the most comfortable I have ever worn. I am in a Small/medium, but think that the next size up would be too big. I am kinda tall and skinny, so not sure if I am in the right size.

kayakfreakus 09-15-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZ (Post 161413)
Also, the side pockets are completely unreachable. How the hell do they expect me to be able to reach around and open a pocket that is basically right over where my kidneys are. The zippers tend to open by themselves.

I agree with the hard to reach part, figured it was just do to my phenomenal physique.....otherwise the Astral is a great vest. Never had any issues with the zippers coming open on the pockets on the green vest, but I did on the 300.