Mountain Buzz

Mountain Buzz (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/)
-   Whitewater Kayaking (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Hecla Junction to Stone Bridge (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/hecla-junction-to-stone-bridge-25041.html)

kevdog 05-28-2009 11:48 AM

Hecla Junction to Stone Bridge

I'm looking for some information on floating the Arkansas river, specifically the Hecla Juction to Stone Bridge stretch, late June. Basically I'm wondering about rapids/hazards on that stretch and if it's doable in an oar-rig.

I've floated Stone Bridge to Salida East, but I'm unfamiliar with the stretch above it, and I understand Hecla has a campground while Stone Bridge does not. I was thinking it'd be nice to rig boats the night before and just put in from Hecla the following morning.

thanks.

psu96 05-28-2009 11:57 AM

Siedels Suck hole is the only true rapid in between Hecla and Stone Bridge, you can get out and scout it on river rt and I would scout it. other than that pretty mellow section

jmalefyt 05-28-2009 12:00 PM

Depending on the water level Siedels can be silent or voilent. At lower water levels it's a pretty tame pour over. At 1200 and up it can be a boat flipper. It's definately a good rapid to scout.

GPP33 05-28-2009 01:09 PM

There is one additional rapid below Siedels, it’s decent but not of any great significance for a raft. Ore rig will be no problem, it’s a pretty short and un eventful run with lot’s of shallow water, wouldn’t be my suggestion for a good raft float. Start at Buena Vista or Fisherman’s bridge, you’ll get Browns which is a beautiful canyon, starting at Buena Vista will add some additional scenery and minor rapids. The dam is fun on the left and easy on the right.

dirtbagpinner 05-28-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevdog (Post 144215)
I'm looking for some information on floating the Arkansas river, specifically the Hecla Juction to Stone Bridge stretch, late June. Basically I'm wondering about rapids/hazards on that stretch and if it's doable in an oar-rig.

Definitely runnable in an oar rig; I regularly run it in a 16.5ft cataraft, companions run catarafts and roundnoses with oars.

Quote:

Siedels Suck hole is the only true rapid in between Hecla and Stone Bridge, you can get out and scout it on river rt and I would scout it. other than that pretty mellow section.
If you camp at Hecla, you can walk on river right (about a mile) down to look at Seidel's.

I would also say that Twin Falls, the next rapid after Seidel's, is something to pay attention to. The second drop has a right lateral wave that has flipped unsuspecting boaters.

Quote:

Depending on the water level Siedels can be silent or voilent. At lower water levels it's a pretty tame pour over. At 1200 and up it can be a boat flipper.
You can sneak Seidel's on the left (might need to ship your left oar), otherwise a run right of center of the hole offers your best chance (I think). Have a good head of steam if you hit the hole dead on. :p

kevdog 05-28-2009 02:24 PM

thanks folks...