Mountain Buzz banner

Anyone know of a good home for old boats?

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  carvedog 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I've got a couple of old school boats that have been hanging in the garage for the last decade: a Perception Dancer and a Prijon Invader. Does anybody know a some sort of charitable org that might be interested? Both boats are in OK shape - just the normal scratches. They've both got float bags. The dancer has a couple of skirts. They'd be fine for kids on a lake or learning on a river. I hate to just haul them to the dump.
Thanks,
Alan

#4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the tip on First Descents. I sent them an email.
I also found a group called Adaptive Adventures for disabled athletes. We'll see if either group is interested... I'll update the thread with any results. I can't be the only one with unused boats hanging in my garage.
alan

#7 ·
idea

I had a bunch of old boats sitting around my yard and a friend who runs a pre-school asked if she could have two of them for her play area. She took out all the seats, hardware, etc. and has them in her sandbox area. The pre-schoolers love to sit in them and pretend that they are boating. She's asked me for some more.

#8 ·
I had a bunch of old boats sitting around my yard and a friend who runs a pre-school asked if she could have two of them for her play area. She took out all the seats, hardware, etc. and has them in her sandbox area. The pre-schoolers love to sit in them and pretend that they are boating. She's asked me for some more.
Great idea.

But what's wrong with an Invader?:confused:

#10 ·
invader

Isn't the Invader the one so in demand for the Green race?Someone might want that boat,it is nice you want to give them to charity,but they use them in the long boat division of extreme races,unless i have it confused with another old school Prijon boat,I have A T-Canyon sometimes they use them.

#14 ·
Found a home

Thanks for all the feedback. It looks like I found a home for the boats with Adaptive Adventures (Adaptive Adventures - Sports And Recreation For All Seasons) up in Evergreen.

From their website:
"Adaptive Adventures is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of children and adults with disabilities and their families through outdoor sports & recreation."

So, if you have an old boat that needs a home, you might give them a shout, that or Kevintee over at DU.

alan

#15 ·
I still have my old Invader. Didn't know any better and loved it at the time.

It does surf big glassies nice, but I dropped into a huge hole on the Hells Canyon ( on purpose knowing I would get trashed) and busted the cockpit rim and it was never the same after I repaired it.
And it was at the point in my kayaking that I wasn't really afraid of the big holes and class 4 pretty much anything. Never made it to class 5 and don't need to now.

Sure be fun to get another boat, but the new designs look so......different.

I am a long board snowboarder too, so I don't know if I can adapt to the short boats. I think my Invader is going to my daughters daycare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.