Mountain Buzz

Mountain Buzz (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/)
-   Whitewater Kayaking (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Cheeseman takeout (Corral Cr.) to Res (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/cheeseman-takeout-corral-cr-to-res-18177.html)

Schizzle 05-02-2008 10:58 AM

Cheeseman takeout (Corral Cr.) to Res

Has anybody ever boated this section of the S.Platte?

I assume it's not very good otherwise it would be covered in a guide, but I'm just kind of curious having fished and climbed about a mile down from Corral Cr. Seems like it could hold a few good rapids, or alternatively quickly turn into flatwater and portages.

Looking for an adventure without the commitment and hazards of a run like Cheeseman.

ACC 05-02-2008 11:22 AM

Doesn't CRC say that people used to run all the way down, but that below corral creek the run is plagued with wood and the quality of the drops is questionable--seives, etc.?

bigboater 05-02-2008 12:57 PM

Looks like they just shut the dam off.

riojedi 05-02-2008 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schizzle (Post 94085)
Looking for an adventure without the commitment and hazards of a run like Cheeseman.

Keep lookin. It's supposed to be bigger and badder (the portages anyhow).

Gary E 05-02-2008 11:13 PM

The lower is a lot of portages due to sieves and nastys. Plus a shitty paddle out makes for a long shitty day.

Gary

Juan De Confluence 05-03-2008 04:56 PM

High adventure portage fest

This is a great place to take your boat for a hike!

And you will find adventure too. You and your boat will enjoy the challenge of keeping her on your shoulder while you traverse steep, crumbly 30 degree granite slopes. The river is 80-100 feet below you running completely underground with almost no visible current in the pools between the giant boulder piles.

The scenery is fantastic too, in a post apocalypse kind of way. And you will have plenty of time to savor it. We took off of cheesman Res. at 11pm, after a couple hours of paddling down the Res. We started from the top at around 11am as I recall.

I would reccomend the bottom half as a "Vacation to Hell" Training loop.

Schizzle 05-04-2008 06:14 AM

You all just saved me a lot of grief. Thanks for the info.

Landis 05-04-2008 11:01 AM

Cheeseman to the Res

Beautiful arduous portage.

If you are talking about the S. Platte where if flows into Cheeseman Res Eric Bader and I ran this run many years ago (starting at Paradise) setting shuttle at the lake.

As we anticipated the River disappears into a seive in the same zone as Lost Creek... and only re-emerges in the waters of the lake. We portaged right as the Boulder Field of the Seive is almost impassable. I recall about 1/2 mile portage.

Nice to link the run together though... I believe this was 2nd' decent, approx 1993 or 1994. Beautiful large boulders upstream that are like houses you can paddle around.

The lake itself, though off limits, is also one of the nicer bodies of water I have seen. I hear the Fire through there caused some damage, but I'll bet it has grown back. Do as I say, not as I do, and don't run the lower section. It was a miserable portage.

Cheeseman became our fall back as the weekend before Eric, Mark Lane and myself were scouting Tarryall (considering the run) and got down into the Platte part of the Canyon to find it looked quite nice. I recall Paul Zirkelback and Gary Jenrette "unrecomending" the run from their (most likely first) passage, but seeing it it looked worth the exploration anyway. I would recomend this approach as the spirit of the "virutal first descent"... dont' get too much beta, be careful and know it is your own first descent if not somehow the first in time.

Landis

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schizzle (Post 94085)
Has anybody ever boated this section of the S.Platte?

I assume it's not very good otherwise it would be covered in a guide, but I'm just kind of curious having fished and climbed about a mile down from Corral Cr. Seems like it could hold a few good rapids, or alternatively quickly turn into flatwater and portages.

riojedi 05-04-2008 11:48 AM

Landis-

Did you guys ever get back to Taryall? Been wondering about that one.

Nice to see ya on the Buzz, met you once in the 90's at FibArk. It was after Rasta and I had taken the Stinger down Cheeseman and I recall talking to you about a number of leser known parts of the state. I'm sure you can fill us in on a few runs that have been forgotten since the water last flowed.

Gary E 05-04-2008 06:49 PM

Taryall is a mess. Stompy sickness in bad things. Most drops that can be run, were, and it wasn't many. It was called carryall creek after the run. Of course this was done many years ago and might look better now from some new eyes.

Gary