Mountain Buzz banner

Where to camp in Moab

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Paul the Kayaker 
#1 ·
So I am headed to Moab in 2 weeks and wanted some advice on where to camp. We are going to be hiking and mountain biking for a few days and need suggestions. Free camping would be great!! Let me know where you would go. Thanks.

#3 ·
Good luck with free camping, even if you drive out of town to the BLM sites you still have to shell out $5-$10 a night. Last September I stayed a week at Up the Creek Campground. It's 15 bucks a night for a single person, less per person for groups. Nice central location right in the heart of Moab. Very nice sites and probably not crowded this time of year. It includes hot showers, picnic tables, green grass, and a little creek running right next to the campground. I haven't done much hiking but check out the Porcupine Rim, Bartlett Wash, and Gold Bar/Portal trails for mountain biking.

#4 ·
You can only camp legally in designated camp grounds if you're within a 50 mi (or so) radius of town, so you'll probably have to pay. My vote is ***** Bill's campground, right across from ***** Bill's Canyon and the end of Porcupine Rim: cheap, trees, privacy, river, politically incorrect, and perfect bike & hike access.

#8 ·
There is an undeveloped BLM campsite on the river road with out fees. It can be found near the turn off to onion creek, but on the river side of the road. From the road it is hard to see the campground because you have to take a dirt road over a very small hill. You do have to have your own toilet system and I have seen the BLM guys check sites for them. It's not to bad and most people do not know about it. You have to pay for the rest of the sites on the river road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.