Mountain Buzz

Mountain Buzz (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/)
-   Winter Buzz (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Vermont Riding? (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f17/vermont-riding-11645.html)

fet123 01-08-2007 09:44 PM

Vermont Riding?

Well I just got invited to a sweet 16 party in NJ at the end of February, so I figured I might as well stay for the week and ride the east coast. The main question is if anyone knows about a forum that concentrates in the east coast. Or oder wise, does anyone have any suggestion of were should I go? I was thinking to drive to VT (someone is lending me their car for the week) and go to Okemo since thats my best chance to find some snow(coldder weather and best snow making opration), with such a lousy winter in the east coast this year. i thought of Pennsylvania but they no snow at all. any sujestions with ski resorts in that area is greatly apreciated.

Thanks

DanOrion 01-09-2007 08:20 AM

Nothing going in the East right now, not worth the drive. El NoSnow. Jay peak in Vt was always a fav. Cannon mtn in NH good stuff too. Mad River Glen?! Not this year! Now that you've ski'd Colo, no point in going to Vt unless it's for the fall colors, hiking, climbing or really hairy hippy chicks (who incidentally love to be call chicks, bitches, etc) Bring your ice skates.

Hunter Mtn in NY not a bad drive from NJ, 3 hoursish. Combat skiing with coked up New Yorkers. Bring your glock. West side has nice icy moguls.

thedude1683 01-09-2007 10:07 AM

There is NO SNOW... but if you want to get it when it comes in, and you want the good terrain, you gotta go north. Stowe, VT or Jay Peak, VT.

fet123 01-09-2007 01:23 PM

Trust me I know there is no snow compared to the west. But there is some snow a little is worthit for me, since this is the last trip of the season I can do. I rather take my chances. I get free car and free stay half of the trip, I can save a lot of money. Plus I dont mind icy conditions, since I am actually used to them. I also know all their snow is man made. But anyway thanks for the help, ill keep looking around to find a nice resort, high elevation more posibilities of having some snow.

Thanks guys

Talk to you later

ripdam 01-13-2007 03:15 PM

Not worth bringing your skis! Since I moved west, I don't even bother with the travel hassle of bringing skis to go back to visit fam, even when I can ski for free. And I even grew up skiing at Hunter. While staying in Dirty Jerse, you are better off making a trip into Manhattan, or catching some surf at the shore. Enjoy the ocean, we have the mountains out here.

fet123 01-14-2007 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripdam
Not worth bringing your skis! Since I moved west, I don't even bother with the travel hassle of bringing skis to go back to visit fam, even when I can ski for free. And I even grew up skiing at Hunter. While staying in Dirty Jerse, you are better off making a trip into Manhattan, or catching some surf at the shore. Enjoy the ocean, we have the mountains out here.

Dude I live in Florida, Fort lauderdale I have the ocean in my back yard, I am actually tired of it. Althought the Manhattan idea its not bad, i love it there, i migth get a couple days ridding and one in the city.

phlyingfish 01-18-2007 01:11 PM

Go on up to Jay Peak. You are looking at a good drive from the Dirty Jerz, but when you arrive there will be snow. Lift tickets are reasonable, they have a tram, and there is good out of bounds riding to be done. There are no other hills in the east that can claim all three of those features. Plus Jay gets a lot more snow than any other hill in the East, and many in the west. It's not cowboy powder, but it will float ya. I ski n' stayed there in December at the on mountain hotel for $150, that's including dinner and breakfast.

They also take canadian money at par if you have any of that laying around.

BastrdSonOfElvis 01-23-2007 04:19 AM

The duo of MadRiverGlen and Sugarbush are pretty nice, too. Don't know about snow this year.

I'm with the guy that says just go to NYC and party it up. Jersey is a pretty far drive from VT by Eastern standards with lots of low speed limits and population centers in the way...and nothing will make you more bitter about shitty snow than a ten hour drive to get there.

fet123 01-23-2007 01:09 PM

I know it might be icy, I know it might not snow, and I now the conditiions are not the best, but hey thats what i got, i rather have a good time than not at all. I made reservations at killington, since its only 5 hours compared to 7:30 to jay peak, i rather be at jay peak but that atmosphere its not the best for parties, and its a large group and some dont even ski, so i have to be conciderate withthe other, i was thinking also okemo, or Pico, sugarbush is another hour drive north, i think 5 hours is more than enought to be stuck in a car driving, since im the one driving.

phlyingfish 01-25-2007 03:10 PM

Sorry to hear you are planning on Killington. You'll know what I mean soon enough. Head up to Sugarbush if you can, at least they haven't dynamited their mountain into mediocrity.