Mountain Buzz

Mountain Buzz (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/)
-   Whitewater Rafting (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f42/)
-   -   Prime rib in a DO? (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f42/prime-rib-in-a-do-102071.html)

Pine 01-09-2020 08:24 PM

Prime rib in a DO?

Was thinking of trying this out, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it?

Seems like you'd have to have a side pile of extra coals going to keep cycling on new heat?

noahfecks 01-09-2020 11:29 PM

No reason it couldn't be done, gonna need a big ass oven. Its going to be really hard to get it nice and rare. Do you have quite a bit of experience with cooking large cuts of meat in a DO? If not start with something less expensive and build up to it. But heck, for all I know your are a DO master chef.

MNichols 01-10-2020 05:51 AM

I did a full 7lb sirloin in a DO once on a Deso trip, dried it really well, coated with sugar, put directly on the fire to caramelize the sugar and create a good sear / crust, then into the DO, 6 coals on the bottom, 4 on the top, about 40 minutes later checked with a meat thermometer, was perfectly rare / medium rare depending on where you cut. And yes, if memory serves we replaced the coals when they burned down with coals from the fire.

I don't see any reason you couldn't do this with a small prime rib. The sear is key in my opinion, and instead of regular white sugar, I'd use Brown sugar, rosemary, a little sage, smoked paprika, white pepper and a little cumin on a prime, but that's just me :-)

okieboater 01-10-2020 09:14 AM

I do brisket quite a bit on river floats.

I put a spacer lid (home made) in my DO to keep the meat off the bottom maybe one forth inch.

Do a rub on the brisket, pour a can of adobo chilies on top then cola or dr pepper a can or so, then put it on the coals. Will take at least for me 4 or 5 hours. Plan on new charcoals as needed. After a while I take a look and continue cooking till the brisket basically will fall apart. Last one I did in a 14 anodized DO was with the camp chef cover on my partner steel stove. Takes a bit of testing to get the heat and setup working right but for me much easier than using charcoal.

I have served the brisket sliced or pulled apart in chunks (a big fry pan of green beans, onions, pecan or almonds etc with DO baked spuds is awesome) or pulled pork style on toasted hamburger buns with potato salad, chips or the oven french fries in another DO etc is also very good.

I used to do brisket in my smoker (best smoke flavor for sure) but the DO on a stove method works great on river trips but will take a lay over day to make unless you precook at home in the oven..

MT4Runner 01-10-2020 10:12 AM

Or precook with a sous vide, reheat in a 120 bath in camp, then sear/serve?

MNichols 01-10-2020 10:35 AM

Thanks Okieboater, I hadn't thought of that. I generally smoke them, slice it and vacu-seal, then toss in the DO to reheat, hadn't thought of actually cooking it on a layover day, good call !!

As far as Sous Vide, getting a little culinarialy fancy with the food, huh MT4 ?

MT4Runner 01-10-2020 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNichols (Post 756675)
As far as Sous Vide, getting a little culinarialy fancy with the food, huh MT4 ?

Christmas gift from my wifey. Time to find uses for it!

okieboater 01-10-2020 10:46 AM

unfortunately for me, Sous Vide is above my river cooking skill set.

I have read about Sous Vide and it sounds like a good deal. But, as mentioned,
Sous Vide is something I need to leave to those with more cook skills than I have.

On the other hand, this thread is one that I have a lot of interest in following.

Buzzards have a lot of river skills to share and this will be a tasty addition to my recipe file.

stone 01-10-2020 11:04 AM

I was on a trip that tried this.

The rib was packed in kosher salt inside the Dutch oven.

Unfortunately, the thermometer system malfunctioned and the roast turned out medium well. Still tasty, just not the same.

I would try it again, but with a better thermometer.

[email protected] 01-10-2020 11:07 AM

Here is a fun meal that is a little easier than Prime rib to cook and get right. Can be done at home, sealed and frozen in boiling bags for a quick dinner on the river.

Scott's DO oven ribs
Ingredients
⦁ 4 lbs. baby back pork ribs or beef ribs or however much will fit in your DO
⦁ 3⁄4 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
⦁ 1 teaspoon smoked salt
⦁ 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
⦁ 1 tablespoon garlic powder
⦁ 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
⦁ 2 cups of your favorite Barbecue sauce (Bulls-Eye Original is mine)
Directions
1. Preheat DO to 300 degrees f.
2. Peel off tough membrane that covers the bony side of the ribs.
3. Mix together well the sugar and spices to make the rub (at home).
4. Apply rub to ribs on all sides just before cooking.
5. Lay (two layers) ribs on a double layer of non-stick foil, shiny side out and meaty side down.
6. Lay one layer of foil on top of ribs and roll and crimp edges tightly, edges facing up to seal.
7. Place in DO and bake for 1 1/2 hours. Do not add any more charcoal after 1 1/2 hours and let stand for 45 minutes in DO.
8. Remove from foil and save foil for later.
9. Cut ribs into serving sized portions of 2 or 3 ribs.
10. Arrange bony side up.
11. Brush on sauce .
12. Repeat on other side.
13. Grill the ribs on your fire pan, bony side down. Cover with foil loosely to cook on the sauce until it bubbles and sticks on ribs.
14. Serve with extra BBQ sauce, coleslaw and baked beans.