Mountain Buzz

Mountain Buzz (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/)
-   Whitewater Rafting (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f42/)
-   -   Clean - Drain - Dry (https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f42/clean-drain-dry-102037.html)

cdcfly 01-05-2020 10:11 AM

Clean - Drain - Dry

I got packages from Salamander Straps, Strapworks & NRS for Christmas. Not sure which box the postcard came in, but there's a postcard from cleanboater.org.

I have only been thru an inspection point (with my raft) once. It was this past summer on the Snake inside Grand Teton.

This postcard made me think. How Do Aire,boaters with the bladders clean and drain the sediment in between the boat and bladder?

I would assume this will become the norm as here in Colorado regular boats are all subject to inspection. It could get expensive. These invasive mussels are a real problem. Not sure how we can really hope to keep the out of all waterways.

Thoughts?

Droboat 01-05-2020 11:31 AM

"These invasive mussels are a real problem."

Yes, but sometimes, problems solve other problems.

"Not sure how we can really hope to keep the out of all waterways."

We can't. Neither can the Wrecked Bureau. Nor can the publicly funded water militias that use policing tactics to guard ill-conceived attempts to replace rivers with federally funded plumbing.

I'm guessing the water militias will enjoy harassing boaters and blaming boaters for the failed plumbing.

[email protected] 01-05-2020 12:53 PM

I do not know how difficult or not it is for Aire boat owners clean their boats. I can say it is all boat owners responsibility to insure their boats and gear have been properly cleaned, drained and dried before launching. That includes trailers and any gear that could carry mussels, weeds, seeds, mud and water from one body of water to another (don't forget river shoes). The sad thing is that we need check points and rangers to enforce common sense.

GeoRon 01-05-2020 01:21 PM

I'm going to differ strongly with Droboat. No surprise hopefully that someone would.

Doing nothing with regard to environmental issues threatening our livelihoods, lives and our children's future doesn't fix anything. I know a young lady who recently spoke at the UN who would not look Droboats way kindly concerning his post.

Thank you cdcfly for bringing this up. AIRE boats are a potential problem especially the air bladder self-bailing floors. AIRE recommends that proper maintenance is cleaning out bladder chambers annually.

GeoRon 01-05-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 756159)
I do not know how difficult or not it is for Aire boat owners clean their boats.

It is semi-difficult but gets easier with practice. AIRE recommends annually, of course, contingent upon use.

caverdan 01-05-2020 01:37 PM

You have touched on the major design flaw of Aire boats and all other boats that use a bladder system.

GeoRon 01-05-2020 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caverdan (Post 756167)
You have touched on the major design flaw of Aire boats and all other boats that use a bladder system.

Bro, caverdan,

Definitely on the "con" side but not! a major design flaw.

I'd say that a design flaw would be boats more likely to have pin hole leaks, core shot leaks, etc. :-) Boats that you have to top off every morning. Boats that you may have to patch mid trip.

I've got two AIRE Cats out there each sitting on separate trailers. Never patched. Come spring, under identical temperatures as when I put the tarp on them, they will look the same as in fall when tarped. One boat has a serial number that dates to 1996. The other dates to 2006. They are used boats. That is a design "Pro". I'll take that "Pro" any day. To my knowledge only AIRE makes bladder boats and they are made here in the USA(last time I checked).

Zebra mussels are a new obligation that AIRE owners or potential buyers should (must) consider. The trade-off of AIRE or otherwise should be considered. Regardless, you still should clean your boat to prevent spread of invasive species. That is my opinion.

This is not a big deal. Most boaters are either here or there relative to zebra mussels. A little bit of social conscientiousness should deal with the cross over occasions!?!?!?!

Just thinking and it requires more thought, how about a strip of slow release anti-whatever backing some sections of AIRE zipper? This is science beyond me but what are the considerations. Bummer if it kills all life forms from river put in to take-out because of the strip; including river runners? Hummm, requires more thought perhaps.

Enough said for now.

noahfecks 01-05-2020 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeoRon (Post 756163)
Doing nothing with regard to environmental issues threatening our livelihoods, lives and our children's future doesn't fix anything. I know a young lady who recently spoke at the UN who would not look Droboats way kindly concerning his post.

:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...gmbDvPKVZcrg&s

k2andcannoli 01-06-2020 06:06 AM

Like any of your guys boat enough to have living organisms still on your boat from your last outing.

MNichols 01-06-2020 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noahfecks (Post 756181)

That would be hitting the nail firmly on the head...

Quote:

Originally Posted by caverdan (Post 756167)

Indeed. But then a lot of things have major flaws, folks just overlook them in the interest of other desires many times....
Not to mention that the AIRE round boat owners should likely be disassembling the floor after every river, and at every checkpoint.

Those floors that hold water would be the perfect incubation place for the Quagga Mussels, and without a complete disassembly and inspection, there would be no way to know, for sure.

I doubt that the tubes on a cat would pose the same threat as the floors on the round boats though, as long as the cats remain inflated, and the zippers closed, there's not a lot of space for more than silt and small rocks to enter, but that's just calculated speculation on my part.

While IHMO this isn't a boat manufacturer's issue, it all stems directly from the Bureau of Wreck the Nation, and their confounded reservoirs, which provide the ideal incubation and breeding grounds for these critters, which make rabbits breeding output look slow.

Again, and this is ALL my opinion, it's not going to be too long, despite efforts to the opposite, before they travel naturally, to the Glenn Canyon Dam, where they will clog the turbines, and the bypass tubes to the point where they have to decommission and remove the dam...

Well, one can hope, right ????

Hayduke lives in Mother Nature ???