Newbie here - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-14-2018   #1

Newbie here

Hi all, new guy here! As the username states, Iím from south central PA. Iím not new to kayaking, but mostly just yak fishing off sit on top. Iíve been interested for a while in trying whitewater kayaking but I really donít know much about it. I was wondering if some of you could share some info and insight with me on it? Iím 41 and I have a wife & 3 kids 12-19. Not sure my girls would be into it, but my 12yo son definitely is into trying it out as well. My first concern is obviously, how safe is it for a young soon to be teen?
Besides that, whatís it like? Do some of you do 2 day trips with camping? Also, does anyone recommend a course we could go through near south central Pa? And how many or what type of courses do I need to look for. Iím looking into it now hoping to get a/some courses in over the winter so we can be ready for next summer since this one is winding down. Any and all info or stories are much appreciated! Thanks for your time! - Bill

PAboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2018   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Hey PAboy!

A lot of us are out west, but there may be a few easterners on here.
Boatertalk.com seems to have a bigger set of east coast paddlers.

Kids:
My daughters are 14 and 16. I had them in hardshell kayaks at 6 and 8, and they both had rolls. Got them in whitewater too early, and they got scared, and haven't kayaked since. Both love to raft, and I took my 16yo on the Main Salmon a month ago and she LOVED it.

Safety: really depends on the water. Whitewater kayaking is a social activity; not really safe solo, so the safety also depends on the safety attitude of your crew. Safety is relative...your son is probably safer doing this with you than running around town with hooligan kids without you!

Find a couple of whitewater kayaks for you and your son, go play in the warm late summer water, and look for some pool sessions this winter to work on your roll.

A swiftwater rescue class is also a very good idea.

From there, just find some local boaters to tag along with and some Class II whitewater to run and get comfortable on.

Welcome to our passion!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018   #3

Thank you for the info!
PAboy is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hello | Good onfo »