Who else things SUPing is lame?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-06-2011   #1

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Who else things SUPing is lame??

Seriously, it seems that it blew up all over the paddling community over the course of a season and yet I have only seen one person actually doing it on a low water class 2 (a person, who by the way, is a well known sick class V creeker.)
I've seen folks riding body-boards in holes for a while and that looked kind of fun.. but SUPing... really? "iSUP?" Really? I'm convinced it's all marketing. I see more periodicals devoted to it than I have for the past decade of kayaking.
Please explain this to me.

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2011   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
It has gained a lot of popularity real quick because it is a ton of fun!

It is a lot harder to SUP a section of river than to kayak it, so it makes easy sections kind of hard but fun. I don't know of a more perfect way to mellow out after a fun day of adventures than SUPing... Plus you get the benefit of a full body workout and it improves your balance.

I will be SUPing the Rincon section tomorrow after I run the numbers. You and anyone else that wants to should grab a rental board and join me.
Blackshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
It just still all sounds like an ad.

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2011   #4

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Laird Hamilton has been doing it for years....and on flatwater. And he's a thousand times more rad than you. Seriously,who gives a fuck?

No,I don't own one.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #5

Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1997
don't knock it 'til you've tried it...

i have two little kids, and so we do a lot of family-rafting...class II-ish multi days (San Juan, Green, etc).

it's a blast.

Edit to Add:
It must suck for you to have to drive a 50lb SUP board all the way back to NM then, eh AC? The things we do for our women (and their friends)....
BLott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Hey,People get their kicks all sorts of ways.Try striding if SUP is too tame for you .Seems like a happy medium would be moderate 3 where you'll get spanked but swimming is still safe.I'd like to try it.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLott View Post
Edit to Add:
It must suck for you to have to drive a 50lb SUP board all the way back to NM then, eh AC? The things we do for our women (and their friends)....
Damn, so SUP boards weigh 50 lbs? I have been thinking about trying it out on the Milk Run here soon, but I wasn't sure how it worked. Surely you don't attach yourself to the board like a surfer...but at the same time I would think it would be difficult to catch a 50 lb board in strong current...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #8

If I am going to go downstream, it will most likely be running the stout in my creek boat. But yesterday I had a super fun surf session in the BV park with Mike Harvey and his new short boards the Badfish. It is the most fun I've had on a 2'+ green wave. I just ordered a 6' 11".

Jed
Jed Selby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #9

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I just had knee surgery and I'm buying an iSUP. I won't be able to stand up on it for a while, but I can still get out on the water. I won't be able to sit in a kayak for most of the summer and this is an alternative that seems like a lot of fun on flatwater or the river. Oh, and the inflatable is going to be great to take on our rafts for overnight trips. Little D might be a hoot on this thing.

Try it before you decide it's laim. You might just like it.

Kim
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #10
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
shits weak
tango is offline   Reply With Quote