What river surfer should I buy? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-05-2015   #1

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
What river surfer should I buy?

What river surfer should I buy? I have been looking at Hala, Badfish, and Glide. I like the price of the IRS from badfish, and the Peno is also an iSUP. I would like to stick in the 6.5'-7' range.

SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2015   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamboatBORN View Post
What river surfer should I buy? I have been looking at Hala, Badfish, and Glide. I like the price of the IRS from badfish, and the Peno is also an iSUP. I would like to stick in the 6.5'-7' range.
That's a loaded question. Hard to say without knowing your build, skill level, places you'll normally be paddling, etc.

For a pretty good and non-fragile board I'd check into the MVP-S with sharkskin or the glide sesh. I got a chance to ride ben's IRS last week. I can see that being a front runner for inflatables in my opinion.
daniel_mcgraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_mcgraw View Post
That's a loaded question. Hard to say without knowing your build, skill level, places you'll normally be paddling, etc.

For a pretty good and non-fragile board I'd check into the MVP-S with sharkskin or the glide sesh. I got a chance to ride ben's IRS last week. I can see that being a front runner for inflatables in my opinion.
Kinda knew that was the next question. I weigh 200lbs, and run class 3 whitewater on Yampa and Colorado (State Bridge Area) usually. Not many people comment in the SUP section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2015   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_mcgraw View Post

What do you think of Cobra?
Old 05-05-2015   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Since you already have a downriver board, I'd go for a strictly river surfing specific board. The Glide Sesh, Badfish 7'6" MVP-S and the Badfish IRS are good options.

The IRS is the cheapest and most durable. I think it will surf most waves (based on 4 sessions of experience). If you really get into river surfing, you'll probably want a different (more advanced) board by next season. It's a great entry level board.

The MVP-S is the most expensive and least durable. It will surf almost any wave/hole you can find, and is the easiest to learn on. As a beginner board you might end up destroying it by the end of your first season... even with shark skin. That said, it's a great board to keep in your quiver and you'll end up using it for years to come since it can surf almost anything. It also might be the best match for your weight.

The Glide Sesh is super durable (only two dings after three years of hard use), and a little less expensive than the MVP-S. It's not as easy to learn on, but can be more fun to surf as you progress than the MVP-S.

Here's a couple of my reviews:

SUP for the Soul Review: Badfish MVP-S SUP - SUP for the Soul
SUP for the Soul Review: Glide Sesh - SUP for the Soul
Old 05-05-2015   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin_smith View Post
Since you already have a downriver board, I'd go for a strictly river surfing specific board. The Glide Sesh, Badfish 7'6" MVP-S and the Badfish IRS are good options.

The IRS is the cheapest and most durable. I think it will surf most waves (based on 4 sessions of experience). If you really get into river surfing, you'll probably want a different (more advanced) board by next season. It's a great entry level board.

The MVP-S is the most expensive and least durable. It will surf almost any wave/hole you can find, and is the easiest to learn on. As a beginner board you might end up destroying it by the end of your first season... even with shark skin. That said, it's a great board to keep in your quiver and you'll end up using it for years to come since it can surf almost anything. It also might be the best match for your weight.

The Glide Sesh is super durable (only two dings after three years of hard use), and a little less expensive than the MVP-S. It's not as easy to learn on, but can be more fun to surf as you progress than the MVP-S.

Here's a couple of my reviews:

SUP for the Soul Review: Badfish MVP-S SUP - SUP for the Soul
SUP for the Soul Review: Glide Sesh - SUP for the Soul

Thanks Ben, I read your reviews early today. Your site is usually my go to for boards. What do you think of IRS compared to Peno?
Old 05-05-2015   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamboatBORN View Post
Thanks Ben, I read your reviews early today. Your site is usually my go to for boards. What do you think of IRS compared to Peno?
Peno is better if you want to be able to paddle down river at all. If you're good enough, you can run some fun stuff on it... and surf every hole on the way down.

The IRS would be difficult to paddle down river unless you weigh less than 100 lbs. The IRS will usually surf better than the Peno though.

The IRS is much cheaper than the Peno, but the build quality of the Peno is much higher.

Price, durability, and ease of surfing makes the IRS a good choice for an entry level river surf board. Since you already have a Street Fighter, I think you wouldn't paddle the Peno down river much. Although, paddling the Peno on easy sections (like Rancho to State Bridge) might be much more entertaining for you than the Street Fighter.
Old 05-05-2015   #8

Boulder, Colorado
If you're ever on the front range or if you're going to Golden Games/Paddlefest/Animas River Days, you're welcome to try surfing my quiver. Surfing different boards side by side is the best way to compare.
Old 05-05-2015   #9

Quote:
Peno is better if you want to be able to paddle down river at all. If you're good enough, you can run some fun stuff on it... and surf every hole on the way down.

The IRS would be difficult to paddle down river unless you weigh less than 100 lbs. The IRS will usually surf better than the Peno though.

The IRS is much cheaper than the Peno, but the build quality of the Peno is much higher.

Price, durability, and ease of surfing makes the IRS a good choice for an entry level river surf board. Since you already have a Street Fighter, I think you wouldn't paddle the Peno down river much. Although, paddling the Peno on easy sections (like Rancho to State Bridge) might be much more entertaining for you than the Street Fighter.
Yeah I think I want a strictly only surf sup, been keeping an eye out of a used one, but hardly anything out there.

Streetfighter does best in bigger holes, large wave trains, etc. Lower water it does well, but it likes more water to really have fun. I use to own the Atcha, loved it, so def want to try out the peno. Not sure I want something that long for surf. Surfed some on atcha and it was too long for small stuff around me.
Old 05-05-2015   #10

Quote:
If you're ever on the front range or if you're going to Golden Games/Paddlefest/Animas River Days, you're welcome to try surfing my quiver. Surfing different boards side by side is the best way to compare.
Keep you posted, I tend to head that way for work every few months.

How would you compare MVP-S to Cobra and 6'6" River Surfer? Any Starboards you would recommend?