What board to buy? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-24-2014   #1

Lakewood, Colorado
What board to buy?

Ive never SUP boarded before and would like to start, i know i want an inflatable and one that is good for rivers and lakes. Im from Colorado but currently stuck in Oklahoma and the only thing here is a lake. Im looking for a SUP board to keep my sanity while in OK and be a new hobby for when i go home to CO. Im 5'7 and dont know where to start when looking. Brand? size? shape? etc. please help

cassiefrazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2014   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
What kind of paddling will do you focusing on? Flat water, down river, river surfing, ocean surfing?
Old 08-25-2014   #3

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Lake?

It sounds like you will be using it on a Lake mostly, so I would suggest a touring board. They are not as stable at first, but it won't take you long to get used to it. I have a C4 Waterman inflatable. It is fast on flat water and fairly stable. You can always rent or borrow a river board when you need one. Not many boards are going to be great for both so you probably want to go with what you will use it for the most.

Happy boarding!

Kim
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2014   #4

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Rent, barrow and test as many boards as possible! Different strokes for different folks! Get a good paddle, and look for a used board or a discounted one. CKS has some good deals.
SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #5

Newport, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
One board to rule them all

When I got into SUP I was hoping to get one board that would be relatively good at most things. I am now of the opinion that no such thing exists. I have played with fiber, epoxy, plastic and inflatable boards and think each one has it's uses (almost). If you are going to be in OK for a while, get a hard board. If you want to do SUP as exercise, get a touring board but if you want it as an exploratory/fishing/noodling craft I'd get a wider, more all round shape. Inflatable boards are great for beginners and rivers but are mediocre for flatwater and surfing.

If you move back to CO and get into river SUP, just count on adding to your quiver.
Old 08-27-2014   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
any opinions on the wahoo inflatables? they seem to be a good board for rivers and lakes and in my price range
cassiefrazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiefrazer View Post
any opinions on the wahoo inflatables? they seem to be a good board for rivers and lakes and in my price range
Never heard of them, but there are HUNDREDS of makers out there, so be careful with some of the lower end ones.
Old 08-27-2014   #8

Newport, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
They are all probably made at the same factory in China that has a drop stitching machine. I'd say that if you were looking for a lake board to have fun with the kids these should be fine. For heavy river use where you're gonna be beating the crap out of it on rocks I think you probably get what you pay for. If not in materials, at least in product support from the bigger companies (C4, Starboard, Badfish)
Old 08-27-2014   #9

I have used inflatables on rivers and they are bomb proof, but only think I dont like is higher center of gravity (some like the higher profile though) and the iSUPS tend to grab onto rocks (Colorado rocks are usually not smooth) unlike plastic that tends slides off. Not a huge concern, but when you hit something you want to move past it was easy and not do a cartwheel over the nose of board. I am biased though cause I use a plastic board now, but enjoyed my inflatable a ton and liked it for transportation.
Old 04-14-2015   #10

Portland, Oregon
You posted this a while back but I am new to mountainbuzz and enjoy sharing. I am not a huge SUPer but they are way fun. My pup enjoys cruising around on flat water and watching all the bugs. Here is a good blog about a few different boards. Whitewater SUP 2014 | Northwest Rafting Company.
m.r.h. is online now   Reply With Quote