The honest truth - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-07-2011   #1

Florence, Alabama
Paddling Since: 2007
The honest truth

Hey im looking for a different kayak and want some honest reviews from real people. i will be throwing a shotgun of different types and styles of kayaks i know but i just want people to give me there opinnions on several types ok? ok well ill start with these 1. Wavesport Siren 2. Perception shock 3. Necky Crux thanks!

mcnew77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011   #2

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Wave Sport Siren
Perception Shock
Necky Jive

Those boats look terrible.
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011   #3

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Most would consider those obsolete by today's standards. If you are looking to get into whitewater, try to find a more modern design. I personally wouldn't even pay $50 for one of those designs as they are all terrible. How much are you looking to spend? If you can put 200-300$ towards a boat, I bet you can find something better..
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011   #4
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
The jive isn't that different from a RPM which still has a strong following, and the siren is a a cool boat for girls. The shock doesn't look that good to me but someone probably loves it. For a first boat you need something that you can learn the basics in. Eddy turns, peel outs, rolls, setting a ferry angle, strokes. All 3 of these boats will do this. However, when you want to try to start play boating, running harder whitewater, particularly creeks, or both these kayaks will start to be limiting.

If you want to try the sport out and these are more affordable and available to you then it's a good fit for you. If you can afford and can access say a Jackson fun, a Wavesport EZG, or a Dagger Crazy 88, they will go a little bit further in your whitewater career.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011   #5

Florence, Alabama
See i live in an area that dosent sell any good kayaks and all shipping i have seen is reedick expensive so i feel limited. i am a poor college boy so im just trying to find something i can afford. i was going to get a dagger gt 7.8 but shipping it was obsurd so im just throwing out whatever is for sale in my area, what about a RIOT DOMINATRIX 44? also whats the cheapest way to ship a kayak?
Old 01-08-2011   #6

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Paddling Since: 09
hey man i live in alabama as well check out coosa outfitters in gadsden. they have good deals on boats new or used... or if u could find one in a near by state with someone willing to meet u in the middle...
renkenken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011   #7

Florence, Alabama
yea im actualling talkin to that shop, but im afraid shops are goin to clear my bank and im only two and half hours from chattanooga
Old 01-08-2011   #8

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
It's important to know what size of boat you are looking for. For example, if you are the size of an average adult male, you will probably be too big for the Wave Sport Siren. Also you might want to narrow your list down to a type of whitewater boat.

Do you want a creekboat that has lots of volume and makes challenging whitewater easier? Do you want a playboat to do tricks and cartwheels in (but limits the difficulty of whitewater you can paddle)? Do you want something that can do a little of both?
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011   #9

buena vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
check out boatertalk.com
there's lots of used boats from eastcoast and south sold there.
fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011   #10

Florence, Alabama
yea the siren is out, but i just dont know which id like better playboating or creeking, so idk what to do, i love the occoee and rapids but since im not around that that much and i live near dams i thought playboating might be better idk