SUPs from REI - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-21-2015   #1

SUPs from REI

Let me get a few things out of the way. I know I should buy local from Bad Fish. I know REI is a huge evil empire that does not sell the highest quality specialty products.

Ok.... I got that out of the way. Problem is I Have 500 in gift cards and this is the only thing I can think to spend it on.

So my honey bunny wants a SUP. she plans to do some lake yoga. She will do some lake paddling. She will do the Upper C and similar stuff.

Honey bunny has used several boards..... High performance glass boards, Heavy bulletproof plastic and inflatable. Honey bunny is 100 percent sure she wants inflatable.
So 500 at REi seems to go a long way towards these. Btw...... Honey bunny weighs 125. Her 185lb generous husband may use this thing from time to time also.
Looking at these. Any opinions ?
Advanced Elements Hula Inflatable Stand Up Paddleboard - 11' - REI.com

nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2015   #2

http://m.rei.com/product/884261/aqua...ddleboard-10-6

And this
Old 06-21-2015   #3

Newport, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Between these two I'd go for the Aquaglide for your use. I'ts shorter (turns faster), thicker (rides higher) and wider (more stable). While the Hula board has fin options and may be a little more performance oriented, sounds like you're not really going to be concerned too much about this.

Happy paddling!
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015   #4

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
The Aquaglide looks to have little to no rocker in the front, which is ok for flat lake water, but will not be great on anything with movement and waves (Upper C). BUT its 6" thick compared to the Hula's 4" so much more stable and firmer which is what you want on the river. I would agree with Redpaddle, go with Aquaglide.
SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015   #5

Thanks for the input. Gonna drive down to the Dirty D and pick one up. And eat good Asian food while I am at it. No good Asian in Breck.
Old 06-23-2015   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
You can't find anything else in REI to spend $500 worth of gift cards on? I could blow through that in a minute
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015   #7

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoak View Post
You can't find anything else in REI to spend $500 worth of gift cards on? I could blow through that in a minute
I was going to say that first, but it sounds like they are set on a paddle board from there. I would pick up a used paddle board, and spend that $500 on something good.
SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015   #8

So as it turned out we had more cards than we though. We have 2 of everything but a paddleboard so that's what we got. Out the door with 130.00 on the credit card.

We looked at paddles there and called Mattie from 10 mile kayaks in Summit county and bought a sweet carbon paddle from him, had to support the local guy on something.
My sweet pea is happy

Only bad part of the day was Denver. It was miserable. Hot. Traffic. Hot and crowded. Bought a motorcycle off Craigslist while we were there and didn't get our heads cut off ....... All and all a good day.

Thanks as always for the advice. Gotta say nude yoga on the Sup is great. I just sit in her IK and watch.
Old 07-10-2015   #9

pnw, Washington
You should try the yoga. Flexibility goes hand in hand with nudity if you get my meaning.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote