SUP recommendations for rafters - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-27-2016   #1

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
SUP recommendations for rafters

We want to pick up a couple(2) of SUPs for the use during flat water to very moderate water sections of the rivers we raft. Price is a factor because we're looking at two of them. We need to be able to stow them during the hairy sections and they need to be able to be paddled by a WIDE variety of people (skills). Stability is prime.

Even if there aren't specific board recommendations, what about specs of what I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Old 02-27-2016   #2

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
You can buy cheap ones at Costco for around $500 and they inflate and roll up. I think they even come with a paddle. I would lookfor used online and got with some wider and around 10'. Better quality and will last longer then cheap ones. Good all around board that anyone can jump onto and go. Also can't take two people and/or dog. Wider boards are more stable with moving current. Hard boards are a pain if you don't have space for them and can be damaged in river easily. Plastic does much better with boney rivers but much heavier and could be awkward lashing to raft. Inflatables can be used as a seat, they are durable and stow easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016   #3

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
All great feedback. So 10' or longer - what about width. I assume that also adds to the stability. What would constitute a stable board width? Certain models people have been happy with from a durability and stability perspective that I could find on the used market?
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2016   #4

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
SUP recommendations for rafters

Hala, badfish are local brands and would be great. Look on Craigslist and you might find some. Classified on here has a bounce board and they are super durable (not inflatable). For stability go with something 34"+ in in width. Most whitewater boards are 36"+/- width and 9' in length. Shorter length more maneuverable but not as stable as something longer. My buddy has a Tower board and he loves it, inexpensive, good length to width and can buy online on Amazon. I don't know how durable they are but for what you are looking for might be perfect. Also thickness is huge with an inflatable. 4" thick is going to be more flimsy in current compared to 6". Most companies are now making 6" thick. A lot of cheaper brands come paddles. I prefer one piece fiberglass to an adjustable but you should go adjustable paddle to work with a lot of people. It's debatable but get a leash too. Amazing how fast a board can get away from you in current but if you do get a leash make sure it's attached to a quick release belt or rescue pfd and always carry a knife. That might be over kill for flat water but I would rather be prepared especially if you get into some whitewater.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016   #5

Hood River, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read_N_Run View Post
All great feedback. So 10' or longer - what about width. I assume that also adds to the stability. What would constitute a stable board width? Certain models people have been happy with from a durability and stability perspective that I could find on the used market?
As stated on this forum, width and board thickness are the key features to stability. And the used market can be friendly or terrible depending on what you are looking for. Not sure what size people will be using them, but I have a Boardwalks MCIT 9' for sale, $550 and in excellent shape. I am 5'10" and 175lbs and has been a great board for me. PM me if you want pics and info.
rd01 is offline   Reply With Quote