Suggestions for intro paddleboard - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-06-2015   #1

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Suggestions for intro paddleboard

We have about $750 to spend on our first family stand up paddle board. Definitely want inflatable. Really it's mostly for my wife, but I'd like to use it a little also. Primary use will be on lakes, but we do have a DRE fishing raft and I'd like to tow the SUP with us on some upper Colorado and other mellow floats.

Using it in the river, I know we want 6" thickness. Been looking at Tower and Isle brands online. Any other suggestions for brands? Anything I haven't thought of? Thanks in advance!

dafewillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2015   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Check out Hala out of Steamboat. The Straight Up is a great all around board that we have used A LOT. I like the Jackson SUPerCharger. It's a hardshell, so not as transportable as an inflatable, but more durable IMO. There is also a board called the SUPSquatch made by C4 Waterman, which would be a perfect party barge for the Upper C if you can shell out the dough. There have been some SUPSquatch sightings on the Poudre in the last couple years...
boonekayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015   #3

Durango, Colorado
NRS Earl 6 Inflatable SUP Board - Closeout at nrs.com

Earl 6. One of the better 10'6ish board shapes on the market and I haven't seen a single inflatable SUP that comes anywhere close to NRS' warranty.

But no inflatables are great. Try paddling a hard board side by side with an inflatable and you'll want a hard board. Everyone thinks they're gonna roll it up and stuff it in their trunk every time, but it just doesn't happen since they're such a PITA to inflate. Most people end up leaving them inflated 90+% of the time, which kinda defeats the purpose.

Look at the Glide SUPs out of SLC. Almost indestructible and made in the USA. They're also making inflatables this year (not sure if they're made in the US or not).

https://www.riversports.com/rs/manufacturer/95/Glide
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2015   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
Check out the Astro Stream. It's bad ass. I like it as much as any hard board contrary to what the poster above said. They're kind of expensive - retail for $1500 but I found one on sale for $900 and couldn't be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Pcdc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015   #5
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Corran SUP Bali

Check out the Corran SUP Bali board. It's designed to be easy to paddle and tracks like no other inflatable.

Bali | Corran Stand Up Paddle Boards
Old 01-07-2015   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I suggest the Starboard Astro series.

Starboard SUP 2014

I purchased the 10' Astro Whopper Fun 4" last season and used it on everything from Browns Canyon @ 800 to Rincon @ 4000 to fishing from it at Cottonwood Lake.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015   #7

Boulder County & Salida, Colorado
I was in your situation a couple of years ago and ended up with a 10' ISUP. I weigh about 175-180 with all my gear which is probably a lot more than your wife. I would definitely not go longer than 10 feet if you want to spend any time in the river. My board is less than 6" thick and it's plenty stable.
Cheers
mastodonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
PSI is more important than thickness. My 4" is MUCH stiffer than my girl's 6" NRS Baron. I have used up to a 12'er on the milk run, but the added length makes it much more difficult to catch eddies.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015   #9

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
All great tips, thanks everyone. I think we're going with this one:
http://tinyurl.com/mxuara3

A little longer than 10 feet, 6 inches thick, 15psi, 32 inches wide - seems like a good all around shape, a good price, and gets good reviews. If we're ready to get rad in another couple summers, we'll max the credit card and get a hala or badfish or c4, etc.

See you on the water...

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
dafewillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015   #10

Boulder County & Salida, Colorado
If anyone else is going the "temporary" route, Costco is another option for an all-around board plus their return policy is golden. .http://www.costco.com/Jimmy-Styks-i3...100130399.html
mastodonj is offline   Reply With Quote