River Surfers out of Polyethylene...??? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-10-2017   #1

Montrose, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
River Surfers out of Polyethylene...???

Alright, I'm really getting into river surfing with my Badfish River Surfer 6'11. I'm coming from about 15 years of being a kayaker so much of the hydraulics/board interaction transfers over. I love carving the board on a glassy wave!

I'm also getting pretty good at fixing the damn thing. I know they're fragile but, why the hell doesn't Badfish make boards out of the same material kayaks are made of?

A hollow-or foam-filled roto-molded polyethylene board with recessed fin boxes would be bomber and also perform well.

Is this the future....?

dgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2017   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
It's the present. DragoRossi. Jackson's Supercharger was more of a downriver board. Rotomolded boards tend to be (1) heavy and (2) expensive to produce.

Some thoughts on shortboards and durability here.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017   #3

Vail, Colorado
Have you ever paddled a glass kayak? They perform better, paddle faster and feel awesome. But since hitting rocks is a part of most kayaking they aren't that practical except sea kayaks or an occasional playboat, usually for the professional. Same deal with surfboards, I prefer fiberglass or epoxy over Innegra or similar materials because they perform and just feel better under foot. Since we're usually avoiding rocks river surfing the polyethylene doesn't make much sense. It would be heavier and basically unresponsive compared.
honolua is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2017   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Yeah, I agree the fiberglass/epoxy boards feel better underfoot. I ditch them once fall and low level groveling season comes around though, since that's when I start smashing boards on the bottom of the river.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote